Vista vs my digital camera

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
My camera blows. It's slow, it eats batteries for breakfast. I hate it, but it works well enough for now. The first time I connected it to my pc, vista recognized it as a removable storage device and I was able to browse it like any other drive. Ever since then it won't detect it. I thought the camera might be broken but after doing a little checking I see it shows up in device manager but not under disk management. Any ideas as to whats happening?

**EDIT**

Okay it just showed up. Took it almost 10 minutes. That can't be right.

Last edited:
dunno.. on the battery issue, what kind of battries does it take and what kind are you using (ie: regular alkaline? Lithium? NiMH rechargable?). I've seen some huge differences in our camera depending on what kind of batteries I put in.. Literally from 15 shots (20 max!) on regular alkaline to 150+ shots on 2300mA NiMH.

I had some crappy off brand that a salesman gave me. They sucked. I just bought some Duracell's and they have been holding up quite nicely. Still, even if it didn't eat batteries, the camera would suck. It has like a 5 second response time between when I hit the button to when the picture is taken. But as I said it will work until I can afford something new and awesome. I'm mainly concerned about the time between connection and being recognized by Vista. I'm gonna keep playing and see if I can get it to work quicker.

Instead of hooking up my camera to the PC to get the pictures off of it I use a Sandisk card reader. This way I do not use the batteries from the camera at all.

Better rechargeables. They made a world of difference in my camera. The old style niMH and cheapo alkaline just could not deliver enough energy except when fully charged. Pricey but worth it. I'm using Hybrid (Walmart, etc) Last I saw the eneloop which even better were only available from Circuit City and Ritz Camera.

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=87992&highlight=nimh

I have seen "off brand names" that appear to be claiming the same performance improvements but have not bought and tested any since the few Hybrid brand I have bought rarely need recharging.

As for Vista, I'd pop the memroy stick out for reading and see if that works faster. Also make sure you have the latest Drivers for the camera. I used an old driver by accident on my second PC and it would find the camera but not download.

Last edited:
Vista could have formatted the storage card improperly and caused an issue. It's a long shot but it could have happened.

If you are looking for batteries the Panasonic Oxy--something or other are the way to go. More power over alakaline and longer life.
There really have been no recent advances in the Nimh rechargeables so a good pair of 'em should do ya'. Lenmar is a good brand.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back