Vista trial

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
My trial of vista has run out. When i boot up and log in it asks me to register. IF i select the "access your computer with reduced functionality"choice i cannot acces my files which i would like to remove from my laptop and save on my main pc until i get XP back on. How can i access my files either to transfer them by USB stick or network(already set up).

You might have been able to re-arm if you had done it before it expired, I think your choice would be to reinstall Vista and then you could recover your files. Be careful installing tho, make sure it doesn't specifically say you will lose all your data because I doubt it will be kidding, should be safe though. (as it would put the entire old system in a subfolder)

I would wait and see if there are any better suggestions tho!

Thanks EP, will give it a try after i see if there anymore suggestions.

There were plenty of warnings and you were told when you downloaded it.

Also as far as upgrading from the Vista release candidates - it is actually possible and bizarrely one of the scenarios we as testers were asked to do, so you should hav eno problems upgrading your RC1 to the RTM build without losing any of your settings.

EP,

I tried the upgrade from Vista RC1 to Vista Ultimate Final X64 version, it worked like a charm but was very slow compared to my initial Upgrade from Xp to Vista RC1.

The complete upgrade cycle took 3 hours.

On thing i did notice was that my my RC 1 Performance Index was higher with Vista Final (5.0) than with RC 1 (4.8).

Shaf

Last edited:
Yeah, not tried it with the final (tho did rc1 to rc2) and it was also slow.

I would try to use a Knoppix boot disc and transfer your files that way.

MADMATT: -

My memory only goes forward, so you can see the quandary here. Question… will I be able to install an OEM version by removing the XP hard drive (which is installed on a separate drive) over the top of RC1 which is on a different drive and then re-instating the dual boot file?

:yowch:

Dave, good question. I don't think it would take well (RC1 was essentially a retail-like version). I would use "Windows Easy Transfer" to save your settings and such.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back