vista taskbar question

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
so I think I finally found out my vista problem, there is a bios flash that addresses some batery and fan issues with this laptop, this might do the trick, so far it's been a few days and no freezing or blue screens

that's another thread, I picked up a new laptop for traveling, this one has 3 gigs of memory, is REALLY fast and, the fastest smoothest computer I've used to date, butter smooth

now for the question, the taskbar has a cool version of that mac taskbar where my icons get big and a mini version of what the tab is, it's really cool

is this an option I can enable on my old vista laptop?

Is it possible that it has ObjectDock installed? This is a program available from StarDock http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock
I think I found it, it's in the properties applet of the start menue, I in the task bar tab it's "show windows previews"

I can't be certain that's the feature though, for two reasons;

first, on my original visat box the option is grayed out, does anyone know what that is and how to I get the option available?

and second, the option is not cheched in my second vista so I don't know what's gonna happen when I check it and reboot

these are both media center home vista versions

show previews will do just that show you a little preview of what ever you are running in a little window when you hover over the bar at the bottom of the screen, think its an aero feature and if the card isn't up to it it wont allow you to do it

show previews will do just that show you a little preview of what ever you are running in a little window when you hover over the bar at the bottom of the screen, think its an aero feature and if the card isn't up to it it wont allow you to do it

my second box doesn't have aero and I'm pretty sure my first box has a pretty good vido card

will check under performance for a performance/visual option

Perris,

Can you get a screenshot from your machine with the taskbar so we can see what you mean.

the card is a nvidia geforce 6150...is this a good card?...is it capable of this feature?

I just went to performance and all visual options are already checked so there's nothing in there for me to turn on

Perris,

Can you get a screenshot from your machine with the taskbar so we can see what you mean.

here ya go

you'll see bookmarks launched on the desktop, then you see a mini bookmark just above the taskbar as I hover over the tab

Attachments

• taskbar thingy.jpg
    taskbar thingy.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 488
puzzling, isnt there an option in the control panel for windows to test the pc to see what it can or cant do ?

I have vista business on my compy at work, and it doesn't allow that option to be checked, but on my lappy I have vista home premium and it allows it even without the areo gui running. my laptops is one of those hp 'vista compatible' laptops that can't run the new gui.

so I think I finally found out my vista problem, there is a bios flash that addresses some batery and fan issues with this laptop, this might do the trick, so far it's been a few days and no freezing or blue screens

that's another thread, I picked up a new laptop for traveling, this one has 3 gigs of memory, is REALLY fast and, the fastest smoothest computer I've used to date, butter smooth

now for the question, the taskbar has a cool version of that mac taskbar where my icons get big and a mini version of what the tab is, it's really cool

is this an option I can enable on my old vista laptop?

I guess it wasn't avaiable because I wasn't in the vista theme, I have the feature going now

sadly, my bios upgrade did not fix my bluescreen problem, am sending the box back next week

I guess it wasn't avaiable because I wasn't in the vista theme, I have the feature going now

sadly, my bios upgrade did not fix my bluescreen problem, am sending the box back next week

My memory is going. Is the blue screen recent or have you had it since you got the box? The reason I ask is the SP RC totally cratered my laptop, blue screen after 20 seconds on every boot. I had to uninstall it. So if you installed the SP RC it could bethe culprit.

My memory is going. Is the blue screen recent or have you had it since you got the box? The reason I ask is the SP RC totally cratered my laptop, blue screen after 20 seconds on every boot. I had to uninstall it. So if you installed the SP RC it could bethe culprit.
mine's been bad since day one

Last edited:
Tried the SP RC? Not that I recommend it after my experiece. It can be fairly easily removed if it makes things worse.

Tried the SP RC? Not that I recommend it after my experiece. It can be fairly easily removed if it makes things worse.
it's still loading, I ususally don't install any sp's for a few weeks after they're released

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back