Vista stupid slow on new machine

Carpo, don't slam RAID on OS setup now, I have always setup OS on RAID for Servers all the time, name me someone other than you how doesn't do that on Server setup.

Anyways, I don't think that it's the RAID array on this setup, I am thinking that Vista just doesn't like this mobo, or the mobo can be defective. I don't know.

All I know is that I am a little flustered and I can't seem to pinpoint the problem so I can resolve it and get this $4000 worth of stuff out of my hair.

Heeter

hang on i never slamed it - i said i never do it, i never said it was wrong, and get get your hair off with me because you cant find or fix the problem, or the fact i vioced a personal opinion, im trying to help, but if your going to get like that i will leave you to it, best of luck

Sorry Bud, never meant it that way. The way it was worded it looked that way to me.

Really appreciate the help you give, all the time, really do

Again, my apologies.

Heeter

Update:

I disabled the RAID and now am trying to install Vista on a standalone Hard drive, it is still locking up before I even get to the "Install Now". I moved a RAM stick onto another slot and now it gets to the hard drive selection, but it doesn't recognize any of the HD's installed.

I think that I am dealing with a bad mobo. Could a bad Vista DVD do this? It looks okay, not scratched.

Hmmm,

Heeter

as i said above turn off raid move the drive to sata1 make sure the drive is seen during the post test, you may have to turn of raid=sata, i have raid -eable/disable and raid=ide/sata/none - once the drive is seen in post test vista will see it.

It sounds to me you have a system there like i was given to sort out, raid was on - took first 2 rai ports and vista will not boot from sata3, so make sure all raid options are set to off, and then see how it goes

I would pull everything out and then just go with the absolute bare minimum number of components and see if there is still an issue after install. You can always rebuild raid arrays after identifying the issue.

If there is, you probably have a hard-ware fault some place. I don't think a fault install disc would cause issues.

Heck, I have an X2 4400+ and it doesn't have any issues running my equipment. Plus the manner and nature of the slowness just sounds like there is an issue with the setup currently.

Alright, will start over and unplug all extra HD and see if I can install it one single drive. Will try as well my XP cd to see how that goes.

Heeter

I am going to be completing my new 2'nd rig (primary designation for future Nehalem package :D ) sometime this week so if I come across anything weird, I'll ping you :)

Thanks, Sazar.

I am tearing apart the tower as I write this, I am going to bring the mobo back to the place I purchased it.

I tried installing OS onto single SATA drive, and it still won't work.

Please let me know if you do encounter something weird.

Thanks,

BTW, what your specs for the new rig? Are you going RAID?

Heeter

I don't RAID. Personally I'd rather have peace of mind than additional, marginal speed and reduced drive life-span :)

I am getting a quad 9450 with 4 GB ddr2, PC Power and Cooling PSU, 8800GTS (overclocked g92, already have) 1.5TB of storage when all is said and done and a few other smaller items. I might be looking to offload most of my current rig for cheap, but who knows.

Great, Thanks,

Sure let me know if you hit a snag.

Heeter

I don't RAID. Personally I'd rather have peace of mind than additional, marginal speed and reduced drive life-span :)

I am getting a quad 9450 with 4 GB ddr2, PC Power and Cooling PSU, 8800GTS (overclocked g92, already have) 1.5TB of storage when all is said and done and a few other smaller items. I might be looking to offload most of my current rig for cheap, but who knows.

Reduced life-span for a hard drive? Do explain your reasoning.

Also, depending on what RAID setup, it will provide more peace of mind, for example a RAID mirror, it means you can lose on drive and still be good to go.

X, just a thing about constant seeks on a RAID 1 config.

Hi Huys,

Update: I replaced the mobo and the new is doing the same thing. I cannot install vista onto sata drive.

:cry:

Heeter

what version of vista you using? RTM or SP1 ? and are you using the drivers from the cd or website ?

RTM Ultimate.

Cannot even get to the screen to select which HD to load vista.

Locks up before that.

Heeter

Heeter, do you have the bios settings correctly set for S-ATA drives?

If not, you're not going to go anywhere buddy.

I assumed you had everything correctly available but I don't think you have mentioned your BIOS settings for boot sequency and S-ATA.

I know you've been fiddling around with RAID so perhaps you made some changes that have been buggering up everything.

load default settings on bios and start again, put a stick of 1gb ram in there if you have it, im wondering if its the 2gb sticks that its not liking

This is probably not the problem but since you mentioned problems with recognizing drives...

If using some older SATA I MB's (particularly with certain chipsets) and trying to connect a SATA II drive you may have to jumper the back of the SATA drive to force it down to 150 speed. Some older MB's are not SATA II compatible and can not negotiate the 150 speed.

SATA II defaults at 300 and can be negotiated or forced down to 150 for compatibility. But the MB has to play nice with others.

I ran into this 2 weeks ago trying to upgrade an older system. Just put one of the old PATA master/slave jumpers across pins 6-8 for WD, nt sure on seagate.

This is probably not the problem but since you mentioned problems with recognizing drives...

If using some older SATA I MB's (particularly with certain chipsets) and trying to connect a SATA II drive you may have to jumper the back of the SATA drive to force it down to 150 speed. Some older MB's are not SATA II compatible and can not negotiate the 150 speed.

SATA II defaults at 300 and can be negotiated or forced down to 150 for compatibility. But the MB has to play nice with others.

I ran into this 2 weeks ago trying to upgrade an older system. Just put one of the old PATA master/slave jumpers across pins 6-8 for WD, nt sure on seagate.

I had to do that a long while ago on my personal 36gig raptors, but that makes total sense, there is no jumpers on there now, bought from the supplier.

Will get back to you later after I try that.

Thanks,

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back