Vista SP1/XP SP3 Question...

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
The conventional wisdom is that, for optimum performance and compatibility, one has to do a reformat and slipstream, etc. Would you all say that's still the case for the latest service packs, or should it be okay to let them update via Windows Update this time around?

normally that is the preferred way, but you can just download and install the service pack and then do a defrag of the drive afterwards

I agree (slipstream preferred...) but if you do try updating a live Windows installation, I very highly recommend doing a full backup. People have been shocked and surprised when their Windows won't boot or work correctly afterwards. It's not the Service Packs fault, but some Windows installations are damaged already without seeming so until a major change like a Service Pack is introduced.

You may not experience any problems at all, but just consider how much of a pain in the butt it might be if the worst happens.

If you've used the computer for a while a bunch of updates and hotfixes are already on your system and installing XP SP3/Vista SP1 will just add those new bits from Microsoft that they hadn't previously released. So the way to go, imo, is just to install SP3 on your current configuration and then perform some maintenance activity - clean unnecessary files (Ccleaner), defrag

Updated a friends XP SP2 with SP3 Windows Update (63Mb download)
Soon after installation with minimal software loaded at that point .....and no issues whatsoever.
Very smooth.

I always do SP's via the download (offline), I don't trust WU to not bork something.

i slipstream them and do a re-install - best way i find

I always do SP's via the download (offline), I don't trust WU to not bork something.

Very well put! :laugh:

i slipstream them and do a re-install - best way i find

I agree. I perform new slipstreamed installations if possible, if not I use the standalone installer like Xie said. Read this to mean I always do slipstreamed installs for myself, but sometimes standalone installs for some other people.

I installed on top of my setup and have zero problems , I am not going to spend a week redoing my os just for an update, but I will slipstream for the next time I format and redo my rig.

Hmm...well, I've got some thinking to do then.

Considering that Vista SP1 can't be slipstreamed (thanks a lot, Microsoft :rolleyes: ) and Vista RTM BSODs on install if I keep all my RAM in (KB929777), I'm probably going to need a replacement DVD from Microsoft that has Vista SP1 integrated. Does anyone know how I go about that, short of blowing my life savings on a TechNet subscription?

just ask them for a disc - think you only have to pay for shipping - not too sure

Considering that Vista SP1 can't be slipstreamed (thanks a lot, Microsoft :rolleyes: ) and Vista RTM BSODs on install if I keep all my RAM in (KB929777), I'm probably going to need a replacement DVD from Microsoft that has Vista SP1 integrated. Does anyone know how I go about that, short of blowing my life savings on a TechNet subscription?

http://www.vlite.net/changelog.html

v1.1.6 beta

• new: Vista Service Pack 1 Integration (Slipstream)
FYI, current vLite version is now v1.1.6 final. I haven't tried the SP1 slipstream myself because I have the already slipstreamed media, but I don't think v1.1.6 final would've been made final if there were any problems.

You can easily merge Vista and SP1 see my post on Vista Lite.
You do not have to remove any of the Vista functions either.

I discovered, through reading, that merging Vista and SP1 through vLite or other slipstreaming methods does not eliminate the KB929777 problem I'd have, so I pretty much do need an official replacement Vista disc from Microsoft.

Quick question, though. Has anyone ever replaced their discs with this link?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

I saw someone suggest it in another forum, but this seems more like a standard Vista user ordering alternate media. I have Vista Ultimate, so I already have both the 32 and 64-bit DVDs.

Thoughts?

I've never heard of Microsoft making it possible to get a discounted "upgrade" to a newer Service Pack disc.

Only trying will tell. Why don't you try it since I'm sure it'll tell you whether it will allow you to or not and how much it'll cost before you actually go through with it.

Unfortunately with that method you won't be able to get the 32-bit version on DVD, only the 64-bit although I wonder if your key will work to do that since you already have 64-bit.

Maybe there's a way of merging the five 32-bit CDs into one DVD, also.

Keep us informed.

if you bought boxed retail of ultimate the code will work on both 32bit and 64bit

That's not what we're trying to figure out. At the link he provided it gives you the option of ordering Vista 32-bit on CD and 64-bit on DVD, but normally this would be only available to you as an option if the version of Vista you bought didn't already include 64-bit. He said his already includes both 32-bit and 64-bit so I doubt if Microsoft would enable him to order another copy of 64-bit, only the 32-bit version on multiple CDs.

if you ask them for x64 sp1 they will let you have that for a fee for handling and shipping, which i believe they said they would do as they claim you cant slipstream vista and sp1 due to upgrade issues with certain files, so you would have to go to them anyway - just another way to get money from you, and if the code is legal what problem is there :)

He hasn't said if he really wants to use x64. He has only said that he already has both 32 and 64-bit.

Just to clarify, I currently use Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I would basically only need an official Vista Ultimate 64-bit DVD with SP1.

Is there a recommended route to contact Microsoft to get this?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back