Vista Service Pack 1 RC Discussion

Make yourself a slipstreamed ISO. Doesn't take as long to install.

I watched a 90 minute movie while installing the standalone installer this last weekend...

Only 90 minutes?
As I tested other betas I had to uninstall that, wait the obligatory 30 minutes then still watch it fail with servicer errors.

Windows update was failing.
Bizzarely started working the next day with a different file from Windows Update.

90 mins to install a service pack ? how big is the thing ?

wonder how this will affect all the people using the dell oem ;)

I installed it and let it run while I was gone, didn't notice how long it took :eek:

wonder how this will affect all the people using the dell oem ;)

Well if you used that workaround to fool the setup into thinking you have a Dell machine, there was talk that they fixed that loophole... install it and let us know :laugh:

the del oem doesnt change any bios info - the par**** crack was what did that, and even that didnt change any bios info - just used a file to fool vista into thinking it was, and they are fixing the grace timer hack, the only other way was to flash your board with a different bios - which was and is rather risky - although that is another crack they are said to be fixing.

the only thing they can do on the dell issue is to blacklist the key - which i think they already have

so where's the change log?

hate to be a spoiled sport but I don't think anyone should install service pacs for about two weeks after they're released

means that with sp1 they are updating it to actual RTM status instead of beta when they released it 12 months ago :D

Last edited:
so where's the change log?

hate to be a spoiled sport but I don't think anyone should install service pacs for about two weeks after they're released

took ms over 5 years to create the mess that is vista, i doubt 2 weeks will make much difference;)

well I installed it and lost my synaptics pointing device driver. It's driving me nuts!

Other than that no noticeable differences. I was incredibly happy with vista before the sp1 announcement so I'm still happy.

only took 20 mins to install SP1 here - but i was not happy with the 650meg it was using after a fresh install of vista and sp1 - 650meg is a bit much - went up to 1GB when installing SP1 - which i feel is too much.

edit: or is vista doing a linux - using up all the ram it can to make things faster, and releasing ram it doesnt need, because i feel vista is eating fair too much ram

edit2: after a lot of googling i see that vista uses mem to cache a lot of things so that would explain the high (or what looks to be high mem use) how would it affect encodes of dvds (backups of films i own) or avi/mkv ?

Last edited:
Vista's caching works like linux/bsd. It is very fast at releasing the cache to other applications. It has almost zero impact :)

might have to give it a look over, i just thought vista was being a mem whore - goes to show i shouldnt do too much thinking :p

yeah.. its called SuperFetch.. there are tons of articles around the web

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back