Vista Service Pack 1 RC Discussion

hehe.. yeah.. well, we all at first tought that it was just vista being a hog :D

so if you were to disable superfetch it would go back to using the mem like on xp ?

yeah.. but i dont think its worth it...

but if u do it, please tell how things go :)

i dont think i will - i still have 1.8gb free so i think i will have enough, i did find that changing the power config from balanced to high makes a difference

i dont think i will - i still have 1.8gb free so i think i will have enough, i did find that changing the power config from balanced to high makes a difference
carpo, you are under the misguided impression that you want memory released, that you want free memory

you don't

contrary to popular myth, the more memory in use the faster your computer not the slower

when you load a program and close it down, if memory isn't needed somewhere else it's best to keep that data in memory in case you go back to the program

logging which programs are more likely to be loaded to facilitate that strategy is a good idea

suppose you had 4 gigs of memory and were only using 512 mbs

obviously if that remaining 3 gigs were put to use on likely scenarios then your computer would be faster

if this "loaded" memory is on a "standby list", that would mean as soon as memory is claimed it is immediately released and written with the new data

again, the last thing you want is "free memory", free memory is wasted memory

my problem with vista is the fact that I personally do NOT see this strategy coming to fruition

in any event, as memory becomes more abundant you WANT the os to use all of it so long as that use strategy is well placed

i understand that now - its doing what linux does - fill up the whole mem, why linux seems faster :) , but i didnt know that that was how they had windows set up now - now that i know im no longer concerned with how much mem is in use becuase i know what its for.

At first i thought vista was being a mem hungry whore - now i know different :)

on a slightly different subject (as if like xp sp1 vista changes service names) what do people think of this page

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

i used the xp settings when i was on xp (might go back yet depends if i like vista and can find the £120 OEM agan - im not paying £340 for retail)

i understand that now - its doing what linux does - fill up the whole mem, why linux seems faster :) , but i didnt know that that was how they had windows set up now - now that i know im no longer concerned with how much mem is in use becuase i know what its for.

At first i thought vista was being a mem hungry whore - now i know different :)

on a slightly different subject (as if like xp sp1 vista changes service names) what do people think of this page

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

i used the xp settings when i was on xp (might go back yet depends if i like vista and can find the £120 OEM agan - im not paying £340 for retail)
well, vista is still hungry and personally I don't see where all that memory is being spent but there you have it

I don't like nor recomend the black viper site as a ver batim guide

ues the information for helping start the computer faster but improving performance, not so much

services that are running but doing nothing aren't using cpu and the memory is released, services that are doing something should almost never be shut down, there are exceptions

and usually "manual" is a better choice then disabled, this way the service won't start with the computer but can still run if called

No one with any problems with SP1??
Had more software lockups than you can shake a stick at forcing multiple reboots , although file tfr quick. Did not like Comodo 3 firewall.
Disc activity seemed manic even sometime later, and "search" disappeared from start menu .. although selected as normal.
Uninstalled SP1 for now... took 2-3 hours to remove. and then an ntldr booting error forced me to revamp a pre SP1 mirror image .

Installed it last Tuesday. Ran it for one night and it would not last 20 seconds after windows finished loading before I got a BSOD. Machine would not stay up long enough to read the fault logs. After about 10 attempts and disabling zonealarm and AVG I gave up and uninstalled it. Fortunately the uninstall went cleanly.

SP1 RC still needs a lot of work from what I saw.

Strange but I too have lost search on the start menu I had not noticed.

I think that has something to do with companies giving MS crap for forcing the desktop search brand component on you, but can't recall specifically.

But in this case we loose all search? I can see it in the options but no matter what, it seems not to add itself to the start menu. Ok so I fiddled around a little and I now have a search box just above the start button on the menu , But to be honest I cant recall if this is how it always was.

Last edited:
bottom line on this rc or any rc sp, don't install on a non breakable box for at least a few weeks after it's atually released

Strange but I too have lost search on the start menu I had not noticed.

That'll be down to Googley crying foul play with desktop search. Kinda forced MS to remove the Search facility after installing SP1.

the weirdest thing I've noticed with installing sp1...I have noticed nothing. There has been no change in any of my applications, performance or anything.

I'm leaning towards that being a good thing. Mainly because I found vista very stable before and this may have just been an improvement.

I don't like the fact that they label my desktop with the version number and say it's some sort of beta/pre-release

:smoker:

I heard that the evaluation copy stuff will go away with the final release.

You are correct and I knew this, still don't like it though. I don't mind the branding in the system properties, just think it's fugly on my desktop!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back