Vista pricing

Too much $$ if you ask me...

I think Microsoft is getting greedy...

Even if Mr Gates is donating Billions to charity...

i think its a ripoff. thats way to expensive for an Operating System. I would rather wait and go buy a PC from Dell for $300 that has Vista on it. that is just outrageous. and you wonder why people pirate M$ software.

that is just outrageous. and you wonder why people pirate M$ software.

I dont wonder... until XP every OS I owned from MS was not 100% legit...

:speechless:

Until vista every one i own will not be 100% legit.
Im with idle though, im gonna buy a new pc before i go and waste money on this operating system, no matter the cost.

I am so glad I am given free OS's and software via the MSDN academic alliance. Vista Ultimate for free. Multiple copies are free ( just costs shipping expenses ).

Sorry for you guys :(

Too expensive for an OS? The only thing expensive about it is that it is more expensive than any previous Microsoft OS.

Let's look at this from another angle. Without the OS you can't run your computer. You can't run Adobe Photoshop (~$699 - comes out yearly), Macromedia Studio (~$899), CAD software (starting around $1000), SoundForge, etc. etc. etc.

Software comes out yearly so you're saying, "I can buy upgrades though!" So, Adobe Photoshop upgrade: $160 x 5 years (the average life of an OS) equals $800 (if you buy it every year like most).

As I said, the OS is everything and without it you can't do much unless you know of some powerful DOS applications.

Furthermore, you likely don't need Ultimate. You buy it because you want it. Stick with Home or buy the Business offering (which will be available as an upgrade for current Professional owners).

Some people...

Too expensive for an OS? The only thing expensive about it is that it is more expensive than any previous Microsoft OS.

Let's look at this from another angle. Without the OS you can't run your computer. You can't run Adobe Photoshop (~$699 - comes out yearly), Macromedia Studio (~$899), CAD software (starting around $1000), SoundForge, etc. etc. etc.

Software comes out yearly so you're saying, "I can buy upgrades though!" So, Adobe Photoshop upgrade: $160 x 5 years (the average life of an OS) equals $800 (if you buy it every year like most).

As I said, the OS is everything and without it you can't do much unless you know of some powerful DOS applications.

Furthermore, you likely don't need Ultimate. You buy it because you want it. Stick with Home or buy the Business offering (which will be available as an upgrade for current Professional owners).

Some people...

Matt,

You are missing the point altogether...
Bill Gates is a business Genious of that there is no question HOWEVER,
Lets keep in mind that a majority of what he had in his posession was either bought or stolen...

Look at the previous lawsuits, which Microsoft agreed to pay I might add.

Now look at Microsofts hold of the market... It is simply staggering, no one wants to be a developer for anyone unless they know it is going to work on Microsofts OS's because they hold such a large portion of the market...

Its a catch 22 for developers even if they dont want to, because common business shows you HAVE to build whatever you are developing to work on MS platforms or go the way of the dinosaurs and become extinct...

See THIS newsweek article which clearly shows how much of the market MS holds even after losing ground to Linux... a miniscule 3.2% at the end of last year.

Its staggering... Microsoft holds 94% of the worlds market share and at last count the world was at 1.4 BILLION PC's...

Now lets take and double the amount of competitors market share to a whoping 12% (wont happen for several more years)

Leaving a rough estimate of 1.23 BILLION users... now lets go drastic... and say 25% of all those machines are pirated, Heck we know CHINA loves those pirated softwares...

Leaving 923 Million Legitimate windows users... even at the upgrade price of $299 that equals: 276 BILLION dollars

Im sorry call me skeptical but deviding that amount by a year, and say it took 4 years to develop, they still made over 7 BILLION a month, and that to me, sound like maybe too much...

I cant wait until google releases thier OS... I guess that shows where my loyalty lies...

do what you will with these stats, they arent made up, and I overexaggerated on every aspect which could reduce Microsofts over all profit...

Mike A!

Last edited:
Its pushing it though. The only reason MS can charge that much is because its the primary PC OS atm.

if more came out then people could think of switching.

I agree, you really only need home premium though.

Well guy, I think I'm going to give my son a call at college, and see what he gets it for, also he gave me a copy of XP Pro, that came with a copy of XP Pro 64, it cost $ 10.00, what da think.

Well guy, I think I'm going to give my son a call at college, and see what he gets it for, also he gave me a copy of XP Pro, that came with a copy of XP Pro 64, it cost $ 10.00, what da think.

Well, technically yes, he could send it to you.

Is it legal, no. Unless you are a student, you are not supposed to be able to purchase academic versions of Microsofts product...

Remember, its only your honor we are talking about!

:laugh:

Well, technically yes, he could send it to you.

Is it legal, no. Unless you are a student, you are not supposed to be able to purchase academic versions of Microsofts product...

Remember, its only your honor we are talking about!

:laugh:

Well, we both have the same name, and when he's at home he always talking out of pas t upgrade parts I have remove from my computer, plus he does use it for some homework papers, I think it a fair trade, what da think.

By the time its actually released in 2020, $450 won't be much at all...

Seriously though, yes it is way overpriced. There are little new features, just UI improvements. You can get [mostly] any linux distro for free, and OSX for $130.

@MadMatt, you do not have to upgrade software at every release. I use AutoCAD professionally and my firm does not upgrade at every release, that would be ridiculous. ACAD 2006 is around $4,000, that is why alot of our clients still use ACAD 2000. Upgrading to Vista, will however mean that you will have to buy new software to run on it. Most of our PC's are still on Windows 2000.

I don't see business adopting quickly at all. We won't. For five new PC's to meet the vista specs @$1,500ea., plus AutoCAD 200x, whatever version will be compatible, @$4,000ea., plus Acrobat Pro @$450ea = $29,750+tax@7% ~ $32,000. Hell, Vista compatible Dell business class PC's might be more than that with the Vista pro version plus Office Pro.

By the time its actually released in 2020, $450 won't be much at all...

Seriously though, yes it is way overpriced. There are little new features, just UI improvements. You can get [mostly] any linux distro for free, and OSX for $130.

@MadMatt, you do not have to upgrade software at every release. I use AutoCAD professionally and my firm does not upgrade at every release, that would be ridiculous. ACAD 2006 is around $4,000, that is why alot of our clients still use ACAD 2000. Upgrading to Vista, will however mean that you will have to buy new software to run on it. Most of our PC's are still on Windows 2000.

I don't see business adopting quickly at all. We won't. For five new PC's to meet the vista specs @$1,500ea., plus AutoCAD 200x, whatever version will be compatible, @$4,000ea., plus Acrobat Pro @$450ea = $29,750+tax@7% ~ $32,000. Hell, Vista compatible Dell business class PC's might be more than that with the Vista pro version plus Office Pro.

Except you need to buy that $130 OS everytime they come out with a review. 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5.. thats a lot of $130 charges :dead:

Except you need to buy that $130 OS everytime they come out with a review. 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5.. thats a lot of $130 charges :dead:

How much is Norton AntiVirus every year? $50? Thats alot of $50 charges.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back