Vista pricing

I'll buy Vista, plain and simple.

Microsoft does not care about you or any other home users, at all. They need to convince business to upgrade, and they really have no good argument, especially since it will break and force them to upgrade loads of their other commercial software.

Of course they will just say how much more secure this OS is, and its the most secure OS out there. Just like they falsely claimed with XP, just like they falsely claimed with 2000, just like they falsely claimed with 98, etc, etc, etc.

I pay for AVG because I like the company. Same reason I purchase upgrades for Slackware and Gentoo eventhough I do not have to.

Companies are not eligible for free antivirus programs, which is where my main argument was directed. Most companies seem to think its necessary to run Norton or McAfee eventhough they are arguably the worst AV's out there.

Amazon now has the prices listed for Vista with an availability date of 01/30/2007

Ultimate
  • $399.00 Regular Price
  • $359.00 Additional License
  • $259.00 Upgrade Price
  • $233.00 Additional License

Business
  • $299.00 Regular Price
  • $269.00 Additional License
  • $199.95 Upgrade Price
  • $179.00 Additional License

Home Premium
  • $239.00 Regular Price
  • $215.00 Additional License
  • $159.00 Upgrade Price
  • $143.00 Additional License

Home Basic
  • $199.00 Regular Price
  • $99.95 Upgrade Price
  • $89.95 Additional License

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/104-5081115-1046347?search-alias=software&keywords=Windows Vista

Amazon now has the prices listed for Vista with an availability date of 01/30/2007

Ultimate
  • $399.00 Regular Price
  • $359.00 Additional License
  • $259.00 Upgrade Price
  • $233.00 Additional License
Business
  • $299.00 Regular Price
  • $269.00 Additional License
  • $199.95 Upgrade Price
Home Premium
  • $239.00 Regular Price
  • $215.00 Additional License
  • $159.00 Upgrade Price
  • $143.00 Additional License
Home Basic
  • $199.00 Regular Price
  • $99.95 Upgrade Price
  • $89.95 Additional License
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/104-5081115-1046347?search-alias=software&keywords=Windows Vista

Reps+ Matt

Nice find, and I like the idea of adding multiple licenses for a portion of the total cost, that IS a much different picture than has been painted on other forums I have read...

Does it actually work for say 4 PCs you pay full price and then add the extra license fee for the other 3 machines? What if they are all dual-processor machines? is that 5 extra licenses...

HELP!

I assume one license will cover two CPU's per computer (like XP).

However, with dual core already available and quad core on the way I imagine this will be addressed.

Good part of that is the Home Basic Upgrade price, very attractive to most home buyers who don't really need bells, whistles or networking features.

That looks in-line with the XP versions when they first came out.

When you pay for this license you are essentially helping pay for the development cost of all the UI improvements, Direct X 10, and all the other program updates.

On top of this incredibly long development cycle (and resulting cost) for this OS, they have to make a profit.

I can't fault them for this pricing model. I don't think it is terribly outrageous considering the development time. However, a lot of the improvements weren't real "functional" system improvements.

Until they get key software developers to completely abandon XP, I have absolutely no reason to switch any of my computers in the foreseeable future.

It won't make them any friends though and may push a few more people over to Intel Macs.

Shamus, some of them don't have a clue =)

Not so fast on those release dates...

"I'd love to be able to tell you that that is in fact the (Vista release) date, but there's nothing we can confirm right now."> Ditto on Office. In spite of Amazon's publication of a January 30, 2007, release date for Office 2007, a Microsoft spokeswoman said: "I'd love to be able to tell you that that is in fact the date, but there's nothing we can confirm right now."

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,2009990,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

and suggested means? I'll be only upgrading one of my pro machines if this comes out to around £100 UK money.... I just hope it is seamless in integrating with a Windoze domain environment.... maybe that should be another thread though....

Suggested is a Politically Correct way of saying what it will actually cost.

Suggested just means what Microsoft wants retailers to charge but retailers are still free to set the price higher or lower then what the manufactures suggested retail price is.

I've said this before....

The prices seems to be in-line with previous versions of Windows XP, just that they've got the newer business, enterprise and ultimate editions on top.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back