Vista OS Selector / Windows Boot Manager Issue

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi. Currently,I have a hdisk with 2 partitions and the 1st partition has XP Pro SP2 OS and just installed Vista on the 2nd partition. Everytime I boot up the OS selector is default to Vista. I had deleted the partition for the Vista and still when booting up the Vista OS selector is still there even if Vista is already deleted. So, I had re-installed Vista again to see what will happen. After booting up, the OS selector now has 3 options : (1) Previous version of windows, (2) Vista, and (3) Vista...
After uninstalling Vista again, how will I remove the OS selector since I have only one OS which is XP?
Thanks.

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
you can edit the boot settings by going to "system properties" > "advanced" tab > under "startup and recovery" click settings

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
You need to be uber carefull about playing with the boot.ini you can use winxp cd boot into the repair console and run the command fixboot

this will rewrite the boot.ini

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
I was able to replace the default OS at boot up. Thanks.
How do I remove the other "Vista OS"? The boot up options looks like this.

Earlier version of Windows ( this is my XP )
Vista ( this is the newly installed Vista )
Vista ( this was the uninstalled Vista - how do I remove it? )

Thanks again.

American Zombie

Staff member
Political Access
Changing the XP boot.ini will have no affect on the Vista boot loader. When you dual boot XP and Vista the XP boot loading files are changed. You have to use bcdedit.exe or if you want a GUI then get VistaBootPRO.

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
Ok. great. Thanks a lot for the info. I really appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonioPR