Vista, Network Drives & Samba

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
I got a question regarding Vista network drives and if its relevant Samba. I run a file/web server that uses samba. It works great in XP, but in vista I had some trouble getting it to work right but after some poking around and some Google searches I was able to get it connected to my server. Now though, I'm having trouble keeping it connected. Whenever I reboot my computer the network drive will not connect automatically, I have to double click it and type in my password every time. I have remapped it several times trying to get it to stick, but it just wont. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm guessing you already checked the "Reconnect at logon" box in the Map Network Drive wizard. Did you also click the "Connect using a different user name" link and enter the credentials before mapping the drive?

Yep, I did both of those things. I can't figure why its not working correctly.

Welcome to Vista! Lets change the SMB protocol so we can break linux!

heh, yeah perhaps. Do you think it could have anything to do with my version of Samba? I'm not sure I want to go through the headache of updating and configuring it though... :(

So does the problem crop up only with samba shares? Have you tried mapping a password-protected network share of another Windows (not Vista) machine to see if it still happens?

Honestly, I am not sure what they changed with SMB, but I know they modified it and I've read that there will be some incompatibilities.

Not sure why you have to type in a password, you should never have to do that. Is the Vista user a user in the samba backend?

I actually read that it was a Samba problem and they were working on it -- as it affected Xbox MediaCenter as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back