Vista locks up when going to sleep

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

I selected "Never" for Vista not to go to sleep, but it still sleeps when it is not attended for a while. It doesn't wake up when I move my mouse around or press keys on the keyboard. I have a MXRevolution mouse with a G11 keyboard. I am forced to reboot and then get the "Start Windows Normally" screen.

I would like to leave the machine unattended for loooong periods of time then come back and it wakes up no problem. How can I resolve this?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

There is another option in there that by default turns off the hard disk after 20 minutes so maybe that is it.

Go into power options and click on change plan setting for the plan you are using. Now click on Change advanced power setting and expand the hard disk category to find the sleep setting.

I have heard that this is related to NVIDIA drivers, which GPU are you using? Also, what happens when you choose the 'sleep' option on the start menu (where in XP you would normally have chosen 'shut down')?

I had this same problem when I first loaded Vista and it drove me nuts - AZ's information above fixed it for me, hope it works out for you :)

Ray - I wasn't using anything to do with Nvidia either, just FYI

-edit-

Does anyone know if there is a way to set options, such as the HD sleep, to Never rather than inserting a really high time (I'm using 999 minutes).

Last edited:
Ah that must be unrelated then. I had a problem when I sent it to sleep while I went out and when I came back I couldn't get it to resume, it just powered on with a black screen. I had to unplug it and plug it back in, it worked fine after that. Sodding Vista bugs!

Does anyone know if there is a way to set options, such as the HD sleep, to Never rather than inserting a really high time (I'm using 999 minutes).

Scroll the option down toward zero and after zero it will say never.

Hey KC,

Just got in. I am using an ATIX800XL for GPU. Looks like the problem is fixed so far, as I selected "Never" for the sleeping HD.

Heeter

I did some research and find this

Hope it helps...

Hahahaha,

My Vista definitely does not suffer from this. Maybe too much of it.

Heeter

Thats better........theres something to be said about having too many options !:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back