Vista keeps changing my views

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
*Nasty word* VISTA :)

For instance the control panel is in Detail instead of Medium Icons.... I change it back to icon and then it *nasty word* vista switches it back. In Windows Explorer I have it set to Details w/ date moded. It switches it to list.. It's driving up a *nasty word* wall. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
This is my biggest gripe. I have not found a solution, but I have reported it.

First: the "remember each folder's view settings" must be checked (folder options/view tab)
After that, delete the following keys:
Code:
HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
Restart.. all folder views should be set back to their defaults..

note: it may happen again after some time because vista is such a pain that way..

Hi
You mean I had to go through ALL the folders in the system ?:cry:
First: the "remember each folder's view settings" must be checked (folder options/view tab)
After that, delete the following keys:

Thanks.

Cheers
Fire-fly

huh? you only have to check the "remember view settings" option once.. it's a global setting..
After deleting the reg keys, you *should* be able to go back in and set how you want your folders displayed and click the button to "apply view settings to all folders" and it will reset all the folders to the view settings you want.

I did it once early on in my Vista install and haven't had to do it since.. and it was a while ago so I'm running from memory and might be slightly mistaken. I'll give it a whirl soon and test it out again and come back to report..

edit: ok.. just went through these steps again and it does fix it so that when you make a change to a folder, it stays that way. ie: the original post mentioned control panel displaying in detail view instead of icons. After working through the reg key deletes and rebooting, I was able to change to each setting, close control panel, and reopen in the correct/saved view setting. Same thing with the music folders in Vista..

Going through and trying to use the "Apply to folders" button to change each folder to the same view does not work totally. It will still default display the music folder and pictures folder as their default (icons and thumbnails). However, if I go to each of those folders and manually set those folders to a different view (I always like my folders in the details view) it will save those changes the next time I access them.

Hope this all helps.

Last edited:
got the same problem, told the crap to remember my settings on each folder and i CONSTANTLY have to reset the bluddy downloads folder to the view i want because it changes it to various other views without me even being in the folder, and its driving me mad to the point i might go back t XP if the registry hack doesnt stop it.

what exactly does the registry hack do? are bags something it uses when it decides to randomly change folder views, and thus removing the key stops it changing them all by itself?

huh? you only have to check the "remember view settings" option once.. it's a global setting..
After deleting the reg keys, you *should* be able to go back in and set how you want your folders displayed and click the button to "apply view settings to all folders" and it will reset all the folders to the view settings you want.

I did it once early on in my Vista install and haven't had to do it since.. and it was a while ago so I'm running from memory and might be slightly mistaken. I'll give it a whirl soon and test it out again and come back to report..

edit: ok.. just went through these steps again and it does fix it so that when you make a change to a folder, it stays that way. ie: the original post mentioned control panel displaying in detail view instead of icons. After working through the reg key deletes and rebooting, I was able to change to each setting, close control panel, and reopen in the correct/saved view setting. Same thing with the music folders in Vista..

Going through and trying to use the "Apply to folders" button to change each folder to the same view does not work totally. It will still default display the music folder and pictures folder as their default (icons and thumbnails). However, if I go to each of those folders and manually set those folders to a different view (I always like my folders in the details view) it will save those changes the next time I access them.

Hope this all helps.

Hi fitz
Thanks ! ist woorking now
Cheers
fire-fly

No showing files correctly.

Why are my files listed a Music? Instead of File, Size, Type, Date Modified. It's Artist, Genre, Year, Rating.. WTMFCSBS is this? It's driving me crazy. There isn't any music file on this drive.

Re: No showing files correctly.

Sinister.. you already asked this question. Please don't start another thread for the same topic.

Especially when I already told you how to reset the folder views.

Last edited:
Actually you should disable "remember folder view settings" :)

after doing that all folders will remember their settings.

How explorer figured that out I don't know but it works :)

It's wasn't the same question and it's a different issue. I deleted the reg entries and rebooted before I posted. Everything went back to default except it kept on showing my drive as a music drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back