Vista gaming problems

Lawman82

I see bad people
I just finished a new build, and have found that Vista has giving me problem with every game I've loaded, I have load all the new drivers I could find. The games I have loaded have use one core of my two core processor to the max and the game either stops then starts or locks up my whole system, I would like to keep using vista but I'm running out of ideas to fix the problem. whatever help everyone could give would be thankful.

Most people here using VISTA report some problems with some games, but nothing like the major problem you are encountering. Post what hardware is in your new build - CPU, MB and chipset, sound, Video card and you should be able to get some help. Also run the VISTA evaluation utilities in your program menu. They will identify non-compatible hardware and tell you your performance score and what is limiting it.

I belevie there are VISTA CPU patches for dual core. You may also need to upgrade your MB bios but by now most Bioses are fairly up to date unless you bought a MB that has been siting on the shelf for a while.

Also download a benchmarking program to test your system performance and look for issues. 3dMark products will work.

FYI if you ware trying to use an old Soundblaster card, don't. Creative says they do not and will not make drivers to work properly under VISTA. They want you to go pay more money for their latest products.

LeeJend, I think I've found the problem, just have to find the best way to fix it. the problem is a bad video card driver, I'm running a 8600 GT, also dual monitor w/ ultramon as the controlling program, I'm trying to figure how to remove the drivers without losing video. I quess this will be my miss for the day.

change your screen resolution to 800x600 or 640x480 the built in default drivers will take over and there will be no risk of not being able to get into setup.

Lawman, ultramon is still not 100% steady with Vista. I can attest to this, using it all day at work (where I am still at this moment).

Therefore I would suggest trying a combination of things (such as turning off Ultra-mon during gaming and turning off the second display) and see if this works. I have noticed some minor quirks where Ultramon's desktop settings would sometimes not take effect, say after I unlocked my setup, and would default to a single monitor when waking up from sleep.

Neither symptom was exhibited with Windows Desktop Management, but then I didn't have the useful taskbar features of Ultramon available :D

If you are gaming on a multi-display setup, I highly recommend turning off the second display before gaming because you are always going to notice quirks with certain games. This is why I no longer run a dual-display configuration at home on my entertainment system, it simply has too many issues, mainly because of the way games and game engines are designed.

Try these 2 things before messing around too much with video drivers and you should be good to go.

Sazar, I noticed some of the quirks also, just finish playing crysis demo with a lot of them
I had even cut down almost all the setting, I might try just getting rid of ultramon for now but, I will try cutting off the other display tomorrow, Thanks.

Try cutting off the other display first and then play with ultramon.

The display is likely going to be the root cause of your issues. In fact, just your suggesting you are running with it active leads me to believe that you should see most of your issues vanish when you kill it and then reactivate once you are done gaming.

Sazar, well that did make a different, it hasn't tried to crash, still has one quirks seem to be running better, I'm thinking it maybe something between ultramon, and nivida drivers I just closed ultramon, switch to one display in nivida.

I just finished a new build, and have found that Vista has giving me problem with every game I've loaded, I have load all the new drivers I could find. The games I have loaded have use one core of my two core processor to the max and the game either stops then starts or locks up my whole system, I would like to keep using vista but I'm running out of ideas to fix the problem. whatever help everyone could give would be thankful.

If its AMD (One can hope) then have you applied/installed the Dual Core Optimiser? :rolleyes:
Just a thought...

Crit.

Well it appears I'm still having problems, I'm thinking it is my video card driver. I ran 3DMark06, which gave me this error; Idirect3DDevice9::presentfailed:devicelost(D3Derr_Devicelost)
I have removed and replaced my driver, gone to one display, cut off ultramon, also Nvidia dual screen setup, installed AMD Optimizer, I'm again to believe vista 32 isn't for me, and go back to XP64 pro, any other ideas guys.

Thats gash, some guy had the same thing here:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33865060

He backed off his Ram OC and apparently that resolved the issue.. All this says to me is that its not the '3D device'! So, am thinking that:-

A) You stick with Vista, Format + totally reinstall everything, just give that a whack and see what happens in the interest of science!
B) You default all OC's you have going on at the moment and see if the other bloke was right and its V or Timing related!? :dead:
OR
C) You bosh Xp64 Pro back on there and GAME ON! :squareeye

Personally, I'm sick of Vista right now, some of my games don't run right and I see no harm in XP. I'm going back as soon as I get my Xp cd back off my old man! Wicked :)

I just took very thing that was nvida off my computer, default driver of ATI radeon X1250 are running threw my 8600 GT ge force card, don't know how that working, tried just to be funny using 3Dmark06, basically told me to check memory, an video card, but I believe I have removed everything that was nvida, I think the driver cleaner may work to find anything else, what do think critical point?

ATI radeon X1250 driver running thru my 8600 GT

Tell me thats not working!? I'm a little confused?! I reckon you should scrap 3dmark for a moment, and any other 3rd party software and concentrate on the main problem - Its obviously not game specific as its every game.. Try sticking the most recent driver for the 8600 on there and run dxdiag! (Old Skool!) Failing that, perhaps stick XP on another Hdd and replace the Vista one for a moment to establish if its Hardware or OS related?!?

Tell me thats not working!? I'm a little confused?! I reckon you should scrap 3dmark for a moment, and any other 3rd party software and concentrate on the main problem - Its obviously not game specific as its every game.. Try sticking the most recent driver for the 8600 on there and run dxdiag! (Old Skool!) Failing that, perhaps stick XP on another Hdd and replace the Vista one for a moment to establish if its Hardware or OS related?!?
Well I gave up and when back to 64 Pro, then I found out my video card (nivida drivers) didn't like my intergrated motherboard (ATI), I found this out my switching cards to a Diamond HD 2600 Pro. I still haven't put vista back on yet, a little chicken.

Well I gave up and when back to 64 Pro, then I found out my video card (nivida drivers) didn't like my intergrated motherboard (ATI), I found this out my switching cards to a Diamond HD 2600 Pro. I still haven't put vista back on yet, a little chicken.

Geeze, all that trouble and it wasn't the OS.. lol - hard to believe!

As you can see from my Sig, I ditched Vista this morning and rolled back to Xp. I remember when ppl were complaining about Xp but you won't find them going back to ME or 2000 now! I dare say Vista will be okay (One Day!)

:ermm:

I don't know i may put it back at sometime but just to have no headades for a while would be great, thanks for all your help.

I don't know i may put it back at sometime but just to have no headades for a while would be great, thanks for all your help.

Nice one Lawman - Best of luck with Vista if you do decide to go for it.. I decided today that I'm taking at LEAST on month off from it, its driving me insane! :twisted:

Critical Point, I just put everything back on my system, Damm it all stable, man I have seen this in awhile. I started playing Call to Duty 4 today, and I'm very happen man right now, soon or later vista will be right, thanks again.

Critical Point, I just put everything back on my system, Damm it all stable, man I have seen this in awhile. I started playing Call to Duty 4 today, and I'm very happen man right now, soon or later vista will be right, thanks again.

Insane. I just reset my Cmos and my PC booted into Vista! it took me about 10 seconds to realise that the primary HDD had been switched.. Spooked right out! lol :p

How is Call of duty 4? I'm really involved with a few atm: BioShock, World In Conflict, ScarFace, ShellShock (Nam'67), Warfighter 2, Company Of Heroes, FEAR + Condemned to name a few.. just think I need more variety!

Is it worth a spend?

Cheers

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back