vista disc defrag question

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
this thing has been running for about 4 hours, I have absolutely no progress report to see how much is left to do

is there anyway to see a progress graph?

4 hours is forever. Mine defrags and gives me a report in a much shorter period of time.

I'd wager there is an issue somewhere in your system.

4 hours is forever. Mine defrags and gives me a report in a much shorter period of time.

I'd wager there is an issue somewhere in your system.

but why is there no graph to see if progress is being made?

I had to shut down and cancelled out of the defrag, if I knew that it was making progress or near completion I would have left the box running

the vista defrag interface sucks... and afaik, there's no way to change it :(

The actual performance of it rocks. The interface and options sucks. SP1 adds the ability to choose which volumes to defragment but offers no interface changes.

My notebook took about an hour (64GB SSD) to defragment the first time.

I believe the defrag runs automatically:

1. Click Start.

2. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

3. Click Control Panel.

4. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

5. Click System and Maintenance.

6. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

7. Under the Administrative Tools section at the bottom, click Defragment your hard drive.

8. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

9. Click or unclick Run automatically (recommended) depending if you want this feature enabled or disabled.

10. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

11. Click OK

12. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

13. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

14. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

et cetera :p

I believe the defrag runs automatically:

1. Click Start.

2. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

3. Click Control Panel.

4. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

5. Click System and Maintenance.

6. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

7. Under the Administrative Tools section at the bottom, click Defragment your hard drive.

8. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

9. Click or unclick Run automatically (recommended) depending if you want this feature enabled or disabled.

10. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

11. Click OK

12. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

13. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

14. Click OK to the UAC if it appears.

et cetera :p
it runs automatically on a schedule by default on my box, it's supposed to run in the morning on wed.

I wanted to run it and then compare perfect disc against it

My guess is perfect disk will win...

Let us know how perfect disk does. I've been thinking about ugrading, my version is two releases old now.

PerfectDisk, Diskeeper, etc are all superior. The defrag in windows from 2000 onwards has been a crippled version of Diskeeper since it was the diskeeper guys that came up with the defrag APi for microsoft.

There is really no need to manually start defrag in Vista as defrag happens in the background automatically when the PC is idle and when the PC is no longer idle the defrag turns off.

My notebook took about an hour (64GB SSD) to defragment the first time.

Why would you want to defrag a SSD? From what I understand, any performance boost from defragging a SSD is minimal because it contains no moving parts. I am not sure, but I think these drives also have a limited number of read/write cycles. (Though that number may be large enough to be of no concern in real life)

As for automatic background defrag, yeah it totally rocks.:cool: No point in sticking with manual or scheduled defrags when the defragger can handle everything on it's own more efficiently. Third party auto defraggers provide better performance, slicker UIs and way more options compared to Vista's although the underlying concept is similar.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back