Vista Antivirus Product that installs?

I run KAV 6 on my XP Home install and the latest upgrade (MP2) from KAV 6.0.1.411 to 6.0.2.614 supposedly makes KAV VISTA capable. I just purchased KAV in December and I had to go from .303 to .411 right out of the box, and now it's been upgraded to .614. It was a bit of a hassle having to uninstall the .303 version and then install the newer .411 version, however going from .411 to .614, Kaspersky claims you are able to install over top. There are mixed reviews as to if a clean install or over the top is the preferred method. Their forum is located here!

Just tried installing kaspersky internet security as an additional protection to KAV on my laptop. First impressions aren't that good at all in my opinion. System is running sluggish and has locked up for the past 3 minutes... probably because it's hogging up resources.
Have restarted twice already... will give it another try later and will probably switch back to NOD if this continues.
Does anyone know if NOD has internet security suite and if it's any good?

ming - I do not have KIS, but I know one of the first things KAV does after installation is run a full system scan - which I found really long and annoying (about 3 hours for my system). However that is because it is a "complete" scan - after the first scan things move a lot faster because of iswift technology. But you should know that from using KAV.

Just a thought you don't have 2 copies of KAV running do you as KAV is part of KIS??

ming - I do not have KIS, but I know one of the first things KAV does after installation is run a full system scan - which I found really long and annoying (about 3 hours for my system). However that is because it is a "complete" scan - after the first scan things move a lot faster because of iswift technology. But you should know that from using KAV.

Just a thought you don't have 2 copies of KAV running do you as KAV is part of KIS??

No, installed KAV as part of KIS. Will run it on the 1month trial to see how well it performs on the laptop. I like NOD32 on the laptop as it doesn't consume too much resources since my laptop only has 256mb ram. But I am wanting something that is more of an internet suite than just AV.

Why does it take more than 3hrs for a full scan when NOD32 can complete it with advanced heuristics turned on in just under an hour?

KAV and KIS scan all the files while NOD32 by default does not. To get NOD32 to scan all files you have to choose in depth analysis scan or change the setting in the options for normal scan.

Why does it take more than 3hrs for a full scan when NOD32 can complete it with advanced heuristics turned on in just under an hour?

Please reread my post that you quoted: I said "after the first scan things move a lot faster because of iswift technology" For example, my events log in KAV tells me that the last scheduled complete scan I did Wed night took 28 minutes and 34 seconds.

I’ve just install the Vista compatible version in XP over the previous version, no problems during the update. KAV does run slowly to start with on a new install but it gets quicker by the day so after about a three days use it almost drops back into the background. There is a switch in it that will concede CPU cycles to other applications (can’t remember where it is though) so make sure this is turned on, and then KAV will “back away” when required. It does however slow down the start-up procedure slightly. Unlike Spyware Doctor which I also use, KAV has a small memory and resources footprint but not until a few days have passed.

Will try to install on Vista in a minute, last time I tried it was blocked (one month ago).

:)

Dave it is located @ Settings, Scan, Customize and check mark Concede resources to other applications, OK out :glasses:

... I just purchased KAV in December and I had to go from .303 to .411 right out of the box, and now it's been upgraded to .614. It was a bit of a hassle having to uninstall the .303 version and then install the newer .411 version, however going from .411 to .614, Kaspersky claims you are able to install over top. ...

You don't have to uninstall to reinstall. You don't have to do anything but run the regular update if you have it set to update modules (forget proper term). You will see the same "version" number, but will gain new "hotfix" letters to show that you are indeed running newer then said version. ;)

Tried the new version of KAV, was blocked by Vista as being incompatable, solution to the problem has now been running for twenty minutes!

I've always been happy with KAV, and I just bought Vista Ultimate (upgrade edition, installed as a clean install) last week, fortunately Kaspersky just issued a Vista compatible version of KAV 6 a few days ago, KAV 6.0.2.614: works great :)

I'm running windows vista with Windows One Care. I have no idea why this is happening but when I run my xbox 360 as a media extender it cuts out because windows one care keeps turning the phishing filter off.

I have no idea why these two things are related but it's driving me nuts...to the point I don't want to use it anymore.

Did you configure the WOC firewall for the XBOX 360?

yes everything is configured. That is why it is so strange. 1. Media Center has nothing to do with Phishing, and 2. they are both microsoft products.

Seems incredibly odd. Might try a new AV, but don't know which one yet. I wonder if the ActiveVirusShield has been updated to work with Vista since it's just KAV rebranded.

One thing I've noticed about WOC is that the advanced settings aren't always correct. For instance, I needed to get Exchange ActiveSync working. I selected the option under advanced settings and it wouldn't work. It turns out I needed to open up additional ports that WOC didn't know about.

Track down the ports you need to use and create a new port/protocol rule.

I am using Norton 2007 that came with my new computer. Apparently there is a convoluted work around to get it to install that involves installing Norton Internet Security (which I did not purchase) then uninstalling it then installing NAV. Whatever the reason it works fine once you do that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back