Vista 64 Ultimate - won't install!!

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
Marvelous,

After all the buildup I came to do a fresh install on a second HDD and after seemingly a pefect installation process it fails to reboot after the 1st automated restart of the installation process.

I get a split second glimpse of a BSOD with some error message and what looks like a hex location then it goes straight to restart.

Even rebooting with safe mode is no good.

Any likely candidates causing this?

Mobo is ASUS striker extreme, memory is Corsair, GPU is 2 x nVidia 8600 sli

can your mobo boot the second hdd? have you got it set as a bootable drive in the bios ?

It's the only HDD attached via SATA. It is in the 2nd position but seeing as it loaded up OK I didn't think this would be an issue...

OR IS IT!!

Plug it in the first SATA slot. SATA is supposed to be trouble free for a VISTA install but I'm sure not many people would leave it in SLOT 2 with a single drive so it may never have come up before.

Also was it the only drive present when VISTA was installed. MS can get real bitchy about multiple boot partitions/drives sometimes. It's tied to some of their anti piracy functions.

Nice avatar Mubbers - are you a fan of Once Upon a Time in the West too? :)

Plug it in the first SATA slot. SATA is supposed to be trouble free for a VISTA install but I'm sure not many people would leave it in SLOT 2 with a single drive so it may never have come up before.

Also was it the only drive present when VISTA was installed. MS can get real bitchy about multiple boot partitions/drives sometimes. It's tied to some of their anti piracy functions.

Not saying this isn't the problem, but AFAIK SATA makes no master/slave distinctions, just one drive per cable, so if there is only drive it really shouldn't matter what slot it is connected to [in theory].

.... not the first time i've heard of a crash like this. actually had one such crash happen to me a couple times in a row until finding out why.

My one question..... how much memory is in your system? If it's 4GB or more, take out a gig or two, then try, and should it boot, install all the updates from Windows Update.

If you want some insight as to why i'm asking this.... and to find the hotfix directly for fixing the issue that i'm assuming you're experiencing, here's a link.

http://aaron-kelley.net/blog/index.php?itemid=17

fairly certain that's the issue you're having.

yeah. i had the problem, which is how i know to question the amount of ram they have if they get a BSOD after the first reboot, before you'd start going through the whole inital setup stuff. right now i have 6GB of DDR2 in my computer.

Good thing is once SP1 is released to the general public, one can make a custom Vista install disc with SP1 on it, and not have to worry about removing the memory.

To answer the answers...

Spaghetti Westerns rock!

It was the only OS present basically I had two discs in RAID 1, the raid freaked out so I re-formatted one of them to use with Vista. The surviving XP disc is plugged to SATA #1 but is of course unplugged whilst messing with Vista. Hence Vista disc in #2.

I will try it in #1 just to rule that out. Before I try unpluggin memory can anyone confirm this wouldn't screw up my XP installation (changing hardware and all that). Also if it does work where would i go from there??? Really want 4 GB, perhaps new modules?

"People scare easier when they're dyin'"

glad i have vista x64 sp1 dvd and i don't have any of these issues :)

it shouldn't screw up your XP installation. you're only removing the memory to give yourself the ability to install the patch to make it work with more than 3GB, then putting the rest of the memory in. Don't even really have to boot into XP when you have some of the memory out, so i don't see why it would do anything to it.

Thanks,

That's a good point.

XP need never know!:bandit:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back