virus ?

H

Hud

My son is having a problem with his computer. Anyone know of any virus' that can make your mouse cursor go all over the screen and open and close programs. Tried another mouse but after awhile it acted up too. Ran a virus check but didn't find anything. Keyboard is acting up too. Removed the keyboard and so far mouse is working. Could it be a problem with the keyboard.

usually if the mouse moves in one direction it is a bad mouse, but if it's all over the screen and opening programs then it sounds like a trojan. programs don't open themselves. no keyboard or mouse can open a program without a local user or ghosts. I know subseven can do this. try housecall.antivirus.com

Save a cow - eat a vegetarian.

Save a cow - eat a vegetarian.

ROFL Love that tag dude.:D

Dont Know if this will help, But I upped the refresh rate on the mouse on my (XP Pro) Laptop to 200mhz and the Cursor went Crazy !! Wizzing around the screen and opening programs.

Problem went away when I reset the sample rate.

A friend of mine recently called me to ask how to remove a virus. She said that something kept opening and closing programs on her computer and made it difficult to shut down. She didn't tell me about strange mouse movement but I'll ask her about it tomorrow.

Oh and make sure that the Office Speech Bar (found in XP) is unactivated. I thought I had a virus 3 months ago because, when talking while writing emails, I had strange words come onto the screen.

:) Good luck, :)

Originally posted by Hud
My son is having a problem with his computer. Anyone know of any virus' that can make your mouse cursor go all over the screen and open and close programs. Tried another mouse but after awhile it acted up too. Ran a virus check but didn't find anything. Keyboard is acting up too. Removed the keyboard and so far mouse is working. Could it be a problem with the keyboard.

Could be a common macro virus. We had dealings with it at my school. The file comes as a Windows Shell file and opens itself into Word. I know that McAfee will fix it. Norton didn't seem to even detect it. The virus is a trojan that allows remote access to your computer, but requires a host on the other end. Most people who get this type of virus don't have to worry about unauthorized access as the virus is very very outdated.

Hell almost sounds like sub 7 type virus lol all who wonder about thier pcs having a virus(that want free scan)
good place is http://housecall.antivirus.com/ Trend is a quality company from my experiences hell even the makers of Norton have a free scanner on thier symantec website tell them to run a scan and you will know if its a virus

---
replaced word i didnt think would get edited out lol for virus
---

Thanks for all the replies. My son is using AVG antivirus but it didn't find anything. He tried the on-line test Housecall and still found nothing.So far his computer is running ok without a keyboard. He is going to try a new keyboard tonight and see what happens. He is also going to try Norton's on-line virus checker to see if it finds anything.

I would strongly suggest you look at your refresh rate of your mouse. (As posted earlier) Everytime I do a fresh load of XP I have to go in and knock the rate down from the default. If you recently loaded a new driver for either the mouse or keyboard that could cause your problem.

Problem solved?

My son replaced his keyboard and so far everything is working ok. This is the first time I heard of a keyboard doing this. All the virus scans he ran hasn't found anything. In my search on the net I came across a program called "The Cleaner" by MooSoft that finds and removes Trojans. Has anyone used this and if so how did it work?

Try SpyBOt. It is free and will search for trojans. Do a search on the forums and you should be able to find it

its more than likly a macro virus as Reg said but i see every one is quick to assume its sub7 , it could be deepthrot or Bo 2k.

OK!!!!!!!

SpyBot is a SpyWare Remover.

The Cleaner is a Trojan Remover.
For Those Who Dont Know What a Trojan is, its a:

Trojan horse n. [coined by MIT-hacker-turned-NSA-spook Dan Edwards] A
malicious security-breaking program that is disguised as something
benign, such as a directory lister, archiver, game, or (in one notorious
1990 case on the Mac) a program to find and destroy viruses! See {back
door}, {virus}, {worm}, {phage}, {mockingbird}.
Trojan horse
<application, security> (Coined by
{MIT}-hacker-turned-NSA-spook Dan Edwards) A malicious,
security-breaking program that is disguised as something
benign, such as a directory lister, archiver, game, or (in one
notorious 1990 case on the Mac) a program to find and destroy
{virus}es! A Trojan horse is similar to a {back door}.
See also {RFC 1135}, {worm}, {phage}, {mockingbird}.
[{Jargon File}]
(1995-03-21)

Trojan Horse (computer), in computer science, a destructive program disguised as a game, a utility, or an application. When run, a Trojan horse does something devious to the computer system while appearing to do something useful.

Use The Cleaner and NAV Corp. thats what i use. Good Combanation. It Could not be a Virii nor a Trojan, it could be a Hacker.

For PPL who dont know what a hacker is it is:

Hacker, in computer science, originally, a computerphile—a person totally engrossed in computer programming and computer technology. In the 1980s, with the advent of personal computers and dial-up computer networks, hacker acquired a pejorative connotation, often referring to someone who secretively invades others' computers, inspecting or tampering with the programs or data stored on them. (More accurately, though, such a person would be called a “cracker.”) Hacker also means someone who, beyond mere programming, likes to take apart operating systems and programs to see what makes them tick.

By finding Out this, goto DOS Prompt and type NETSTAT, this command will tell u any out going or ingoing conntions to your computer. Make shure by doing this command u know what different ips are witch cause it will tell u if msn or kazaa is connected to ur PC. if you dont reconize any of the ip u see listed it is probly a hacker in ur system. by doing NETSTAT -A, this command will tell u all your local and outside connections. what i mean by local is that ppl in your network, if u have 2 computer connected to your computer it will display its stats too.

I Highly Suggest getting Active Ports, this lil proggy will display all your current connections. http://www.ntutility.com/aports.zip

its worth getting cause if u dont see a ip that dont look like u know, u are able to ternmate that connections.

Thx

When it come to internet hacking, cracking security and poop like dat, im into it hardcore.

so i know quite a few things

Originally posted by w0lv3rin3
When it come to internet hacking, cracking security and poop like dat, im into it hardcore.

so i know quite a few things
Well, I just ran cleaner and active ports. All looks good. Thanks bro.

Thank you w0lv3rin3 and everyone that replied. I will tell my son to download and run these programs on his computer. I think I will download them myself; I do have Norton's Internet Security 2002 installed but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back