Virus attack?

GunBlade008

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi everyone, I was recently on an anime site, I think it was animevideo.com, anyways, an advertisement of some sort popped up and opened another window on IE, which never loaded, it just slowed my computer down. AVG free edition then detected threats on my computer, the first was from a Sony folder in the program files that was classified as a trojan horse, then it detected 2 more from my drivers folder one of which was a .sys file.

Now after quarantining the threats and deleting the Sony threat, my computer is still horribly running slow. It takes an average of 10 minutes to boot fully compared to the 2 minutes it took before. And as I type now, I cannot even see my words in the text box right away, it takes awhilef or ti to appear.

I was wondering if there was any alternative to formatting, which seems to be my only option right now. I cannot system restore, because the shut down stops at "Saving your settings" and when I force shut down, it interrupts the system restore. It still stops at that point everytime I try to shut down. I would not like to format mostly because of the drivers I have on this laptop, I do not even know wheere to begin to search for these devices' drivers. PLease help because alot of my work is on this computer and I cannot lose any more valuable time formatting it. Thanks in advance.

Firstly, look for active virus sheild. It's free like AVG but far, far superior. If you cannot clean the infection with that you would need to reformat completely. If you have a factory restore disk I would use that.

I have a partition on my computer that was supposedly used for restoring the notebook. Is there anyway I can use that?

Hmm...it appears it won't run on Firefox and the virus has gotten ahold of my IE...=(

Active virus sheild is Kaspersky... go get it, install it and use it. No arguments. Your laptop vendor should have a special key stroke or cd you can use to get to the recovery tools.

Can I get a Hijack This peeps?

Please run Crap Cleaner as well. I wouldn't be upset if you updated and ran Adaware and Spybot as well.

oh, this is totally IMO, toss out your AV software - I use it on the infrastructure (server farms) but I havn't used any at home in a year. Infection free.

If you really need it for piece of mind, Lord's suggestion is an excellent one, and AVG is low on overhead (using up fewer CPU cycles) as well.

Even the best AV software is useless against a 0 day exploit.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions, I've given in and formatted because I was not able to disinfect the entirety. Thanks to all!

Even the best AV software is useless against a 0 day exploit.

uh not unless that AV is nod32 ;)
was the ONLY av that picked up and blocked sasser & blaster without definitions..
nod32 has amazing heuristics

your comment however is true of most other AV's

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back