Virtual PC 2007 RTM now available

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Virtual PC 2007 is a powerful software virtualization solution that allows you to run multiple PC-based operating systems simultaneously on one workstation, providing a safety net to maintain compatibility with legacy applications while you migrate to a new operating system. It also saves reconfiguration time, so your support, development, and training staff can work more efficiently.

Virtual PC 2007 runs on: Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, and Windows Vista Ultimate.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

I guess it is safe to assume that you do not need to uninstall the RC.

You must uninstall previous releases (Beta 2 or Release Canidate) prior to installing the RTM.

Last edited:
sorry to be such a noob, but besides compatibility, is there any reason to play with Virtual PC? I got a copy from my school, but I have no idea where to use it, or why to use it. Any good informative website suggestions?

I use Virtual PC as a virtual lab to test software (without installing it on my production box), stay current with XP (now that I am using Vista full time), and to try out new server software.

anyone knows why is vista home premium not supported?

Because VPC is considered a business product. VPC was never supported for XP Home.

That's an even better reason.

Because virtualization in general is not allowed in the Home/Home Premium license. Technically, i think the EULA license refers to running Home or Home Premium as a guest in a virtual machine.. not 100% sure why they would also not allow Home/Home Premium to RUN virtualization software..

I think in their "infinite" wisdom, they probably believe that a "home" user would have no need to run a virtual machine. And if you have a need for a "virtual" machine, you are really running a business and should therefor get a "business" edition of the OS.

What it all really comes down to is microsoft trying to get as much money as they can.. gotta love M$. :)

I've read that it still installs and works fine, but that it just isn't officially supported. It might be misinformation, but you might want to try installing it and see what happens.

it will run fine.. it just won't be supported.

Same thing in that you can install vista home into virtual hardware fine.. it just won't be supported (and you are then violating the license agreement). I don't think there is the same license stipulation in running VirtualPC on Vista Home however.. only if you want to run Vista Home within a virtualPC.

hardwre virtualisation is just an intel thing?
Box is greyed out on my FX.

Yeah, FX-57 is quite old and Vista keeps telling me I need to upgrade it.
Trying to hang on for Quadfather :D

I am still a single core user :p

Yeah, FX-57 is quite old and Vista keeps telling me I need to upgrade it.
Trying to hang on for Quadfather :D

I am still a single core user :p
Well, my dual-core Opteron doesn't include it either. The Core Duo in my Tablet seems to though, although I haven't tried running VPC on that yet.

Prob won't try it on my laptop, although its quite happily running motion desktop, unlike my desktop!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back