Virtual PC 2007 Beta

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
As announced a few weeks ago, October 11th was the day for the Virtual PC 2007 beta to begin and it has.

Virtual PC 2007 Beta Program

Welcome to the Virtual PC 2007 Beta Program. This Beta program allows you to evaluate and test pre-release software, as well as provide feedback to the Microsoft Virtual PC Product Team.

What’s new in Virtual PC 2007 Beta

Hardware-assisted virtualization*
Virtual PC 2007 includes support for virtualization technology from Intel and AMD. By default, hardware-assisted virtualization is enabled if the feature is enabled on the physical computer. You can turn this assistance on or off for each virtual machine by modifying the virtual machine settings.

Support for Windows Vista as a host operating system
This beta release of Virtual PC 2007 introduces support for Windows Vista as a host operating system. The following versions of Windows Vista are supported: Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate.

Support for Windows Vista as a guest operating system
This beta release of Virtual PC 2007 introduces support for Windows Vista as a guest operating system. The following versions of Windows Vista are supported: Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate.

Support for 64-bit host operating system
This beta release of Virtual PC 2007 supports 64-bit host operating systems. However, there is no support for 64-bit guest operating systems.

* Installing Virtual PC 2007 Beta on a computer that has AMD hardware-assisted virtualization support and uses an x64 version of Windows as the host operating system may generate a bug check and shut down the operating system. This occurs because x64 versions of the Windows operating system protect a critical system register that Virtual PC 2007 modifies to enable hardware-assisted virtualization. You can resolve this issue by installing a hotfix prior to installing Virtual PC 2007. The hotfix is available and can be downloaded from this beta site by clicking on the ‘Downloads’ link on the left pane of this page.

Release Notes
Complete Virtual PC 2007 Beta Release Notes are included in the installer and provide important information and usage instructions for the new features. It is highly recommended that you fully read these Release Notes. After installation, the Release Notes can be located in '%windows%\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual PC\Documentation\English'.

Download Virtual PC 2007 Beta
Both the 32-bit version and 64-bit version of Virtual PC 2007 Beta are available. Please click on the 'Downloads' link (on the left pane) and follow the download directions. Note: A product key is not required for this release.

Feedback
The Virtual PC team takes your feedback and bug reports seriously. Your feedback is used to make our products and technologies better. To provide feedback or submit a bug, please click on the 'Feedback' link (left pane) and search for your issue. If not already entered by another beta-user, click on the 'Submit Feedback' link and enter you feedback or bug information.

Thank you
We thank you for your help in making Virtual PC 2007 the best release possible through participating in this Beta.

If you have questions or issues with the Microsoft Connect site, please refer to the 'contact us' page within the Microsoft Connect web site. Feedback and bugs regarding Virtual PC 2007 Beta should be posted using the 'Submit Feedback' tool. For other issues, contact vpc2007b@microsoft.com.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 Product Group

Go to Microsoft Connect to login and download.

Source: Microsoft Connect

Thanks for the heads up. will try this out sometime this week. I want to play with the hardware virtualisation of my shiny new C2D :)

Awesome, too bad about no guest 64-bit capability though.

I'm having problems. Maybe someone (NR? EP?) can help me.

I installed Virtual PC 2007 and setup all my settings including a virtual hard disk. I go to install Vista RC2 and I receive the following error:

"Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim...."

I've done the research and I come up with the following information: http://blogs.msdn.com/mikekol/archive/2006/09/06/743322.aspx

This doesn't make any sense given that VPC 2007 was designed to work with Vista. Furthermore, I don't even follow what he is suggesting.

I try to run "Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions" and nothing happens. It says it should automatically run setup but nothing runs. So I research this error and come up with: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824561/ and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833139/.

Well gee wiz, good information IF I could get the guest OS installed in the first place.

So would anyone care to assist? Thank you.

Have you burned the ISO to a disc? I remember in some of the older builds that Vista was particularly picky about the type of media that it was burned to. It sounds like setup is having trouble reading the Windows image file from the DVD.

One thing to try is to use something like Daemon Tools to mount the ISO as a virtual drive and point VPC to this, rather than using actual DVD media. Run setup again and see if you still run into this issue.

Yes, I burned the ISO to a DVD using Nero.

I followed the same process for Beta 2 when it first came out and I installed it on VPC 2004 (it took forever to install).

Not quite sure why this is happening all of a sudden. Beta 2 ISO was larger than RC2 ISO.

i stil cant find the damn install on windows live for vp 2007. any tips?

NR, mounting the ISO image from within VPC 2007 worked. Now let's see how long it takes to install using this method.

EDIT:
It installed in 20 minutes from start to finish.

EDIT:
I got the VM Additions installed too.

Last edited:
Been a while since I tried VPC actually. Does it support multiple snapshots like VMware Workstation does?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back