Virtual Memory??

Z

ZipTriX

Has anyone ever gotten a yellow triangle with the exclaimation point (just like I used for this post) in the system tray saying Low virtual memory?
If so what does it mean?
How critical is it?
How do I fix it?

1.4 TBird
1024 MB PC133 Ram

here's a screenshot of my pagefile settings. set to default and my system crashes after 4 days. with current settings and system crashes after 9 days.

It means make your page file bigger. Make the top-end around 500mb and see if that helps.

Hey, wait a sec. Did you ever solve that memory leaking driver issue?

um...you have a gig of ram....just turn virtual memory off and the computer will even run faster LOL you really don't need virt mem with over 512mb of ram, all it does is give unnessecary disk writes, I got 512mb of ram and ran fine without it, when I bumped up to a gig I even turned off the paging of the windows Executive files so that it fully loads them in ram and I still normally have over 500mb free during normal use

until you edit something in phtoshop and watch it eat heh

whoa... that's one tiny pagefile.

try 1.5 x Total RAM...

Make the MIN and MAX 1536.

-jay

Originally posted by ZipTriX
Has anyone ever gotten a yellow triangle with the exclaimation point (just like I used for this post) in the system tray saying Low virtual memory?
If so what does it mean?
How critical is it?
How do I fix it?

1.4 TBird
1024 MB PC133 Ram

here's a screenshot of my pagefile settings. set to default and my system crashes after 4 days. with current settings and system crashes after 9 days.

Originally posted by Lonman
Hey, wait a sec. Did you ever solve that memory leaking driver issue?

have to wait til it crashes again to find the file eating the memory. so far my pc froze twice. i think it was cause my video card was overclocked WAY to high (230/530) geforce 3. lol so I turned it down and no freezing. so I'll let you know in 4 days what caused it.

So should I have a pagefile or not? I mess with graphics alot (adobe, macromedia, maya, lightwave, video editing and visual basics). I'll wait 4 days to change my pagefile size.

IMHO..I do alot of Adobe and flash and have never run across a problem...and Adobe creates it's own scratchdisk that completely skips windows...hence why when you first install adobe it will tell you the scratch disk is set to the same drive as the program and to make it more efficient put it on another drive :)

So should I have a pagefile or not? I mess with graphics alot (adobe, macromedia, maya, lightwave, video editing and visual basics). I'll wait 4 days to change my pagefile size.

I have read time and time again that you need a pagefile. First off, if you crash and the system does a memory dump, it needs a pagefile = to Total RAM + 3MB... Not sure about the +3..

Size the Pagefile
from microsoft.com
While you're browsing the System Properties dialog box, take a look at the Advanced tab. This tab is the gateway to three sets of configurable variables: Performance, Environment, and Startup and Recovery. Under Performance, click Change, then configure the pagefile from the Virtual Memory dialog box, which Screen 1 shows. Ideally, the pagefile needs to reside on a disk separate from the disk that holds the system files.

I also suggest that you set the Initial size and Maximum size fields to the same value. Be sure to choose a value high enough to give you a sufficiently sized swap file. You might want to go with the recommended default value, then use Performance Monitor to watch the pagefile and ensure that the system doesn't approach its pagefile size limit. Setting Initial size and Maximum size to the same value prevents the pagefile from growing while users access the system and from slowing users down as the system searches for and allocates space.

On the Advanced tab, you might also open Startup and Recovery and change the time frame for which the system displays the OS choices. The default 30 seconds is glacial-if you can't decide which OS you want in 10 seconds, you've been staring at computer screens for too long.

Originally posted by Qumahlin
IMHO..I do alot of Adobe and flash and have never run across a problem...and Adobe creates it's own scratchdisk that completely skips windows...hence why when you first install adobe it will tell you the scratch disk is set to the same drive as the program and to make it more efficient put it on another drive :)

never asked me that anyway i went to the options and changed all the scratchdisks to be on my d: drive. nothing there but mp3s

have to wait til it crashes again to find the file eating the memory. so far my pc froze twice. i think it was cause my video card was overclocked WAY to high (230/530) geforce 3. lol so I turned it down and no freezing. so I'll let you know in 4 days what caused it.

That's your problem man... it's eating your pagefile too. You might want to check your event viewer logs and see if this 'Low virtual memory' error is naming anything you can troubleshoot.

Yeah, keep a pagefile... I think the size you have (50-250) is plenty with all that Ram you have. The 1.5 x available memory... I don't think it's a huge issue when you have a GIGABYTE of ram, lol.

That's your problem man... it's eating your pagefile too. You might want to check your event viewer logs and see if this 'Low virtual memory' error is naming anything you can troubleshoot.

Yeah, keep a pagefile... I think the size you have (50-250) is plenty with all that Ram you have. The 1.5 x available memory... I don't think it's a huge issue when you have a GIGABYTE of ram, lol.

nothing is listed in the event viewer about low virtual memory

Well, the registry tweak is in place to name the offending memory hog on the next bsod... these problems are related.

One last thing... Take a look at your virtual memory settings. It tells you right at the bottom what it's recommended you set your pagefile to. (1534) 1.5 x Total Memory. If you are using a pagefile then that one(your current / 250) is way too small.

-jay

this sounds like a job for AlecStaar!!!!!! TaDa!!!!!!

LOL

When my comp has crashed I still have the mem dump, it does not need a page file unless ram is full and with 1 gig of ram having that filled at time of crash probably is what caused the crash lol

um... erm... (kiks toe in dirt and tactfully changes subject)...

So, who do you think will make it to the SuperBowl?

um... erm... (kiks toe in dirt and tactfully changes subject)...

So, who do you think will make it to the SuperBowl?

Haven't been following, but I hope my home team makes it......St Louis Rams. Homesick :(

So I should wait til I crash again to change pagefile? I mean after teh crash I can find the memory hog, and fix it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back