Virtual memory?

A

Aileron

Hey there. I saw one of the tweaks on this site about uping your virtual memory. I already had mine maxed out and i have 256mb of ram. So the most i could use for a pagefile was 768 mb, which then i had a total of 1001mb. I wanna set it up higher if possible. I uped it in the registry and it shows up in the virtual memory control panel, and i clicked set but it wont let me go any higher. Just wanna know if there is a way to go higher.

Thanx,
Eric

Why go any higher ? :confused:

Is the pagefile on the system partition ?

In my opinion, if not already, put it on a separate partition or, even better, on a standalone hard drive.

768 is too low for absolutely every user if you want to disable expansion... that's why he should go higher, unless you have no room left on your hd, and then the absolute best setiing is the sysem managed pagefile, as the os will give you whatever it can, according to hardrive space and need.

I'm doubting though that you are maxing the pagefile at 768, so you should notice no improvement in performance by increasing the size of it, still,

for you, the best solution is to set the minimum at 768, and the maximum at about 4x ram....though if you are not using ram intensive programs, you can lower the initial minimum to 512...no less then that for the amount of ram you are carrying... make sure you set the max to about 4x ram, (the actual figure is 3x 1.5 ram)...then you should be set...now, you could set the max to more, mine is set to 4096)...as this will do nothing either way, but do not set it to less, as that could possibly hurt perfornmance in extreme cases

this way, if you do need a bigger pagefile, the OS will accommodate you

here's how to do it;

hit the windows key+break, advanced, perfomance, settinigs..., advanced, virtual memory...go from there

I'm going to point something out here, as there is alot of missinformation concerning microsofts recomendations on this...you will hear from alot of people that 1.5 is the recommended size.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT, AND NOT TRUE.

microsoft recomends an INITIAL MINIMUM TO BE NO LESS THEN 1.5...HIGHER FOR POWER USERS, WITH EXPANSION ALLOWED TO 3X THAT FIGURE...anyone that recomends less is giving you a recomendation that is below what ms says is the absolute minimum...if you are being told to dissable expansion, you are being told damaging information, that can not possibly help any user whatsoever, and will definately slow some users down.

Thanx y'all for your help. I don't know I couldn't get it to work earlier, but now it works. Thanx

Eric

aileron...it is very important for you to defrag the pagefile, after you make it bigger...this is best done with the free pagefile defrag program I posted on free programs.

this is important, for as you expand the pf, it wil be in fragments, and it will be slower...

BUT ONCE YOU DEFRAG THE PF, IT WILL REMAIN CONTIGOUS FOREVER, or untill you resize it manually again.

if the os resizes the pf, it will not be fragged as some used to believe, as the expansion will be gone on the next boot, and the original file remains unchanged

ever thought of defragging you ram.....yes thats wat i said search for memory zipper plus its class it optimizes ram and disk cache to speed up yo system so you dont need such a ******* sized pf check it out on www.downloads.com and search for "memory zipper plus"

I believe that program is a memory management program, with a fancy name.

I gaurantee, your system is slower running a memory management program.

all a memory management program is..you're gonna love this...is another page file, though this one the program tracks, so it can inform you what it can give you...by using a program like this, you are creating even more paging to disc

it will also free ram from areas for no reason, jsut to prove to the user how effective it is..., and thus slow you down.

when you need ram, there is no better program at doing it then the software known as xp

have you tired it then cuz youll know that i aint chattin shitt

no, my opoligies...I'm speaking in general.

I can't argue your point, I haven't tried it, so this specific program I don't have hands on information, and as I said, I'm speaking of memory mangement programs in general...I've tried a few, I won't be trying any more

ok, you convinced me to try this program

most other memory management programs demonstrated an immediate slowdown for me.

this one did not, so I say that much for it.

I haven't noticed any improvements though.

I thought it brought pagefile use down at first, watching coolmon, but I did side by side, writing the numbers down, clearing memomry, launching tough programs, running common tasks, and the pagefile use was the same on my box, as was speed of launch.

watching coolmon further, and writing figures down, timing, etc, side by side, restarting...no improvement on my box...no slow down either, which is much more then I expected, but no improvement.

here's something very funny..hehe...this program uses ram to run, (of course)...now that's a kick isn't it.

I'll run it a day or two, but it looks like it uses ram in it's very nature, not a good thing for a program that's supposed to make ram available

allright, now some time later, after playing some more, I've discovered why I noticed no differance in computing speed...it's because I was running in normal mode.

so I of course went to optimize ram, and just like every other memory management program I've tried, there is a severe slow down on my box...tons of ram available, as far as the meter was concerned, but a severe user slowdown..untill xp reclaimed what was taken away from it.

running in every mode I could find, and the best setting for speed of normal use, was the normal mode...any other setting slowed my computing down...normal use did nothing either way...no speed up, no slow down.

I can't see any differance this program brings over cacheman, or any of the free memory management programs, which is a slow down in computing speed for me...sorry

now, this has a very pretty gui, and it localizes some performance settings, and they will speed you up as far as the eye candy and such, and for those users that want a more localized access to some of these settings, this program will give you that...some people might even believe this program is speeding them up because of these features that are able to turn off the candy, but there's nothing here that's not allready done in the xp gui, and there's nothing I could find in any speed booste whatsoever, and any ram releasing or optimizing definately slowed me down.

Ok, here's something else (still kinda on the topic).

I have 1024mb of PC133 running XP Pro, and I dont really NEED a PageFile. I turn it off and XP runs like a dream, only problem is Photoshop won't load. I can turn the PF back on, but the thing is I only have 4gb of HDD (other ones blew up) so I loose a lot of it (I set the pf to 30mb and it's always a few hundred meg by the time XP is finished).

Anyway, is there any way to load Photoshop without having a pagefile? Its annoying me to no end!!

sigh...this is covered so many times...I do love to talk about the pf though

no mattter how much ram you have, you can not run without a pagefile...though you think you've disabled the pf, xp will still page to other areas of the disc...it will actually write in some instances more, when you've dissabled the pf, never less...all you;ve accompliched, is you don't see the pagefile...also, xp cannot page s efficiently with this makeshift writing to disc...you will run faster with a pf.

photo shop will not run without one, among other programs

the pf is neccessary for kernal stability as well

the pagefile is not a replacement for ram, as people think, though that is one of the functions...the os will never, ever use the pagefile before ram...just set it up, and you'll run smoother, and proggys like photoshop will be fine

Thanx dealer for the pagefile defrag thingy i found on your thread. I did it and everything seems to be running very smooth.

Thanx again y'all

Eric

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back