virtual memory

S

spudnickle

I am really trying to find the optimum virtual memory setting for 640mb RDRAM on a P4 1.7ghz sytem with an invidia GeForce 2 with 32mb ram, min and max settings. I can't seem to find any optimization settings for 640mb ram.
Also is it cool to disable the virtual memory setting as I have read?

That I have

I was just wondering if anyone heard anything different, I'm always looking for higher tweaks

Thanks

I just got rid of the HP laptop for a:
Fujitsu lifebook E
P3 750
256 mb ram
20 gb hd
14.1 monitor
rage mobility 16 mb vid card

Dell is a
P4 1.7
640 mb RDRAM
40 gb 7200 hd
20 gb 5400 seagate barricuda
32 meg invidia geforce 2
sound blaster live

micron is a
P3 450
340 PC100 ram
40 gb 5400 seagate barricuda
TNT 770 ultra
sound blaster

wireless intel anypoint 1.6

logitech pc cam
intel easy cam
Adelphia cable internet

actually, i would like to disagree on the whole 1.5 times your ram idea. i also have 640 meg ram, and am having problems with system performance. i am constantly having to change my paging file size. well maybe once a week when the system slows down. i have experimented with 1.5 times the ram and found that i ALWAYS had bad performance. now i swap from 256 meg and 640 meg (at minimum and maximum settings, AND on my fastest drive)

whenever i change the page file size, it fixes my problems for a few days before i have to alter it again.

this is really irritating, but i have no solution. any ideas anyone?

J

(ps. i am really proud of myself, cause i didnt use an smilies in my message!)
:) DOH/

No prob

I'm always just looking for better, haven't found that perfect mem setting yet, have tried dozens.

raezersharp.gif

I don't use the rule "One and a half times the RAM". If I was to use it I would have a Paging File of 1920 megs (a spit short of 2 gigs). Now that would be a silly waste of space. What I would recommend trying is:-
Let Windows manage your Paging File for a while, hit your system with the hardest, most memory sucking programmes you could ever possibly use, all at the one time. I mean really test the system to the limit.
Then press "Ctrl" - "Alt" - "Del", click the "Performance" tab, and see what figure is showing in the "PF Usage" box. Whatever figure it shows, add a small amount (lets say 24 ) to it and use that as your minimum.
To keep the Paging File from fragmenting and thereby slowing it down, both Minumum and Maximum should be the same.

Could anyone be a little more informative ?

Yes, about the '1.5 times theory', where does it come from in the first place ? What is M$ position, really ?!!!:mad:
It seems like everyone is doing his own little cooking thing, no ?

If i'm not mistaken the "one and a half" rule comes from the usual size of swap partition for Linux/Unix.... correct me if i'm wrong...
I'm pretty sure it is safe and benificial to disable virtual memory altogether if you have 512MB RAM and above...

safe to disable virtual memory? i have 640 meg of ram, and if i disable VM, my computer wont load most of the programs. its a real shit. and a problem that i think needs addressing.

windows just doesnt seem to manage memory very well at all. having a page file is absolutely stupid on your harddrive when thats what your ram is for! 64k is not for everyone. i have 640 meg! and windows doesnt know what to do!:confused:

i'm just saying it's safe based on my experience.... my system with 1gig of RAM works fine with virtual memory disable... normally i wouldn't attempt it... but i have no other choice since Championship Manager 2002/03 won't start if i have VM enabled.. (it says "Not Enough System Memory").... so what i did is i disable VM.... then use MemTurbo to defrag my RAM everytime it drops below 128 megs...

It doesn't make sense to completely disable VM because some programs (Adobe Photoshop most notable among them) simply won't load if they don't detect a paging file. But you can always just create a small paging file as a compromise.

mine is not complety disabled since some apps really need it.. like photoshop.. i have 512mb and i leave it @ 64mb hehehe plenty enought since i run xp on my ram also .. and have 300mb left LOL

If you got 60 G of hardrive space why not use atleast 1-3 % for the paging file, haveing windows manage the paging file is not a good idea, so you should set it to a min and max value which are the same. That way the paging file doesn't change sizes everytime you open a lot of apps.

The 1.5 rule could be used, but it all depends on which applications you use and how much time you spent behind your pc.

Fhuising

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back