Virtual Memory Settings - defaulting to 0Mb?

P

peddierd

I'm having problems setting a virtual memory paging size - even if I leave it to Windows to set the size it still reverts to 0Mb on the Advanced Tab page - when I go into the system settings and try and change it, it has the setiings I tried manually - min 190Mb - Max 300Mb. Re-booting each time!

When logging in as the administrator (or any other user) it hangs until I pres Ctrl/alt/del and loads my settings as normal. When I log on, occasionally a window pops up telling me about the memory paging size and loads as normal.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

standalone/Jetway 867AS motherboard/Athlon 1100Mhz processor/256Mb ram

Also, when you make your "manual settings" changes, be sure to hit the "set" button, otherwise it won't take.

Hello,

Do you think that with 768M i can disable my pagefile safely ?
Will windows ACTUALLY perform better without one or does it work better with it enabled ? Does anyone have any real experience with this issue ?

Thanks,

NaMcO

Yeah, exactly what i was thinking...some apps NEED pagefiles to work correctly (they're probably expecting it as a part of the OS as it comes enabled by default). Besides that it should be hardly noticeable the increase in performance....oh well, indeed:

Better safe than sorry. Let it live ;)

I truly appreciate the reply from APK - thanks you.

My system is a new-build - 40 gig hard drive - newly formatted with only XP operating system, Office 2000 and my virus software on the drive.

Thanks again - any other suggestions.

Richard

I set my initial size to 50 megs and max to 3000 mb. I have 1024 mb of ram.

occasionally a window pops up telling me about the memory paging size and loads as normal

What's the message you're getting?

You might try setting your initial size to zero. I guess if XP insists on zero, you might play along and see if it helps.

There are applications that need a pagefile. I run with 512 megs but found that a pagefile.sys of about 160 megs was required. I overcame the same problem as yours by hacking the registry manually:
goto-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\

you should have a string value entry something like

PagingFiles REG_MULTI_SZ C:\pagefilesys ?? ???

where the ??? are numericals

change this value to whatever you feel you need as a paging file, (mine reads 160 200) and check to see if they are the same in the other ControlSets
(ControlSet002, ControlSet003 etc.)
Good luck.

So why does the pagefile have to be contigious ?

If it's on the same drive as xp then as its constantly changing size then surely it must become fragmented.

Or have i missed something ?

Originally posted by AlecStaar

It does fragment as it grows/shrinks... if you don't set bounds on it!

* BUT, to form it? AFAIK, it has to have a FIRST INITIAL CHUNK of contiguous space to build itself initially!

:)

APK

Whoops !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back