Virtual drive problem

SupaTek

OSNN Addict
I have just installed Alcohol 120% to try. The problem is, that the virtual drive does not show up in My computer. It is shown in alcohol as being installed and the PC did find a new DVD/CD drive, but it's just not showing up.
Any help?
thanx

It may be a drive letter issue... did you reboot after installation ?
Right click My Computer > manage > drives ans see if all drives shown there (hdd and cd-rom/dvd) have a letter assigned...
Let us know...

I have 3 hard Drives C, E and H shown.
2 Physical DVD/CD shown D and F. But the virtual CD/DVD is not shown, but it is in device manager.
For your information G is assigned to my zip drive and yes, I did reboot after installation.
Thanx

I've never used Alcohol, but is it possible that the virtual drive is only available inside of Alcohol?

I have alcohol installed on my old test machine, and it does show up as a drive in my computer.
Thanx

you could always get rid of the alcohol trial and use daemon tools for your virtual drives :)

SupaTek said:
I have 3 hard Drives C, E and H shown.
2 Physical DVD/CD shown D and F. But the virtual CD/DVD is not shown, but it is in device manager.
For your information G is assigned to my zip drive and yes, I did reboot after installation.
Thanx
But it doesn't tell us if a letter is assigned to this virtual drive...
and I didn't mean the Device Manager, but the 'admin' tools via right click on My Computer > Manage > Manage Drives...
(I'm not sure of the right terms, my XP is not in English)

Ok, it does not show under Disk Management (only the physical drives are there) but it is shown in device manager under CD/DVD drives as being installed. In the alcohol program it is also shown as being installed, but there is no drive letter shown and the box for assigning a drive letter is greyed out.
I have just tried installing damon tools and it is exactly the same.
Thanx

do a google for tweak ui
theres a hide/unhide drive setting in there.

<<<do a google for tweak ui
theres a hide/unhide drive setting in there>>>

I've already done that, all drives are unhidden.
Thanx

In Daemon Tools you can assign a drive letter to the virual drive.

Virtual CD/DVD-ROM -> DEVICE 0 [letter] [image] -> Set Device parameters.

On what letter is the drive being mounted? Can you change it there? If so, try changing the letter to X: or something.

Greetz

Lukas

hmm this is starting to look like a major registry error.. wish i could help more...

I think i gotta major prob here. I've just updated the firmware in my DVD writer and now that don't show up in my computer, but it works on my test machine. I also stuck an old cdrom in, and that don't show up either. It seems that if I change any hardware, Windows XP don't detect it.
This appears to have happened after I installed Intel Chipset Utility Program, and there isn't an uninstall option. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Windows XP Pro
Asus P4P800S Mobo
P4 2.8g HT

Hope this helps

I think the installation status is set by indicating in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\INFInst

I gleaned that information from the manual here

Have you upgraded the bios?

And with the chipset...well that is suppose to be loaded first right after a format so that it does not stuff up other drivers.

Also with XP you don't need the infinst_enu.exe file (depends on your chipset). Only the iaa23_enu.exe file. The latter can be uninstalled.

<<<Have you upgraded the bios?

And with the chipset...well that is suppose to be loaded first right after a format so that it does not stuff up other drivers.>>>

I have upgraded the mobo bios to the latest one available.
I did install the mobo drivers straight after xp from the driver cd that came with the mobo.
Looks like another format and start again, or put up with it!!!
Chipset = Intel 848P
Thanx

Hipster Doofus said:
Checked out the Intel site & you do need the chipset file.

Did you load the Application Acceleration file after?
No I did not load the Application Accelerator.
I am not even sure if it's the chipset utility thats causing the problem, but I can't think of anything else. I have noticed in another forum that someone else is having exactly the same problem with the same mobo setup as mine, that is not resolved either. Maybe it's mobo bios setup thats causing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back