virtual desktop manager

D

dotbatman

When using the desktop manager feature with Powertoys, I notice it "steals" sessions of applications that are running on another desktop. For example, if I click on a link in an e-mail, instead of opening a new instance of Internet Explorer it takes any sessions that are open on one of the other desktops.

Anyone know if this can be changed?

***I have unchecked the "share desktops" feature.***

thanks!

hmmm, I just tried to do this on mine and no such luck, it still seems to keep the stuff from one desktop running on another...knew MS's idea was too good to be true!! heheh lemme look around and see what I can find

yah i noticed that all my icons on desktop 1 are in all 3 desktops
i add one icon in one desktop, the other 3 get it too
weird

Actually, I found this and it seems to work a lot better than the Powertoys. Your desktops stay seperate, AND if I click a link in my e-mail on one desktop, it will switch to another desktop automatically if there is a browser open there already! Cool! (since the whole point of virtual desktops is to stay "isolated" from one another).

It also comes with other plugins that might be useful (I really just wanted the virtual desktops), and I have seen no problems with XP.

Thanks for the response!

mmmm, one thing I just noticed, it doesn't bug me but with this program you can't have different wallpapers on each desktop, at least as far as I can see.

I didn't like the Virtual Desktop Manager. Some programs it doesn't even keep on the original desktop.

Originally posted by jfrayzier
I didn't like the Virtual Desktop Manager. Some programs it doesn't even keep on the original desktop.

are you talking about the Powertoys version?

if so: that's the reason I started this thread in the first place.

if not: if yer referring to the app I recommended, it did not behave that way for me. it kept the apps on the desktop which they were opened on.

Then I think we are talking about the same thing. I was using an instant messenger called Trillian. I would have it on Virtual Desktop #1, then when I would switch to #2 it would be there also.

Very buggy software that virtual desktop thing is. The Webcam timershot is lousy, too.

I told it I wanted it to place a file called 'inroom.jpg' at say ftp://192.168.0.1/html

What did it do? It didn't save the file at all, it simply deleted the contents of ftp://192.168.0.1/html (my website...deleted the whole damn thing) and never did save the file.

Luckily, I had the site backed up.

for multiple desktops ive used one of the best in my opinion, desktop managers

this wa sin the days of win95
its calle dNorton Navigator
so simple to use and it did its job.

Virtual desktops aren't necessarily there to keep everything isolated. Rather, they're there to provide more screen real-estate (granted it's virtual) and allow you to quickly switch from one screen to another. Not to operate like three different XP sessions. The whole icon thing makes some sense if you think about it, but it's different from the way most *N?X's do it, so it still seems weird.
/L.A

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back