ViewQuest M318 USB webcam-crippling system!

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Anyone else using one of these? (actually the M318B)

webcam.gif

I am about ready to throw mine at the wall!

Posting this mainly as a caution, rather than actually expecting any help. Usually this cam can be used with no problems (still works fine on my old XP3000+ box!).

BUT trying to get it installed on my main box has been frustrating in the extreme - using the install CD for the "CAM-IN Suite" which is meant to carry drivers with it fails... So I plug in cam and aim to update drivers - having to drag all files from aforementioned old box over the network (quite a pain in itself).

But I don't mind this - I am expecting it to work in the end.... then I get to a driver file VQ318VEX.DLL and everything hangs... really hangs (power off reset hangs).... not only that, but if I leave the USB cam plugged in no way will it come back - will hang druing boot. Only resolution is to unplug webcam....

I have googled drivers and am trying to get hold of them - but the ViewQuest site seems to be running on dial up or something :/

Anyone happen to have them to zip on this thread? Would be appreciated.... [EDIT] Finally did get them to download, but they do NOT help whatsoever!) [/EDIT]

Also I am guessing that I'll need to do some cleaning up - does DriverCleaner handle stuff like this? Is that Shampoo thinger any good for this? Or other recomendations appreciated...

I would not normally post looking for help with this kind of thing, but thought it worthwhile to warn others in case they hit these sorts of problems - it has really riled me on top of my recent email issues (still unresolved) this has sucked up a whole morning of my time (for a WebCam that I may only use once in a blue moon!)

[EDIT] despite removing all I could find from both hard drive and also from registry - then taking download from ViewQuest site and installing drivers I still have a WebCam that hangs the system when plugged in!...

Anyone want a ViewQuest WebCam? Highly recommended for freezing your system stone dead! :dead: [/EDIT]

Last edited:
HMMmmmm... seem to have got it to stop freezing the system now (all I was aware of doing was swapping it to another USB Hub.....) but the drivers still fail to install - get a Code 28.... only been able to google similar problems (no real answers) - anyone have any ideas?

maybe the drivers are getting corrupted in the transfer somewhere?

a thought - but do not think so - uninstalled my Winfast - moved connection to front case - got driver install to go through (with cam unplugged) - now when I plug in freeze is not total, but is pretty impressive (left with just mouse and other things like clock and task manager even freezing!) - seriously puzzled - not frustrated anymore - will just use on other machine - and maybe buy a better one ....

check the .inf for the files to delete and the reg entries to remove.

or clean install - either works :)

If you need it only every now and then I have a creative webcam on my desk.

Permanent use I'd recommend buying a logitech cam from somewhere.

i have all the working drivers for m318b digital video camera but i need the files from the install cd

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back