videocard overclocking

Majin

DBZ - Yes its in me!
ok i have an nvidia geforce 4 mx 440 64 ddr and im wonderign how much overclocking it can handle and how to do it ....right now ive tried editing the bios to increase the core and mem clock speeds but still seem some small glitches ..... help or hints?

coolbits... enables driver-based overclocking. just run this simple registry patch then go into your gf4 display settings and find "clock frequencies". have fun.

ya but heres the thing its driver based and the coolbits and all other software overclockers determine the safe overclock rating based on the actual mhz of the card im trying to find the optimal yet safe actual mhz for the card ....if ya have any ideas on how to do so for any card if not this in particular im extremely interested ...i just dont want to to start smokin :p

there's no way to find out your card's limits without finding out for yourself. every video card is different.

just start by moving up the core frequency in 5mhz increments... in between each one, run a minute-long 3d benchmark and look for strange things that weren't there before (flashing polygons, weird colors). once you see stuff like that, back it down 5 or 10 mhz and you have your core limit. then do the same process for memory, maybe in 10mhz increments so it doesn't take forever. won't hurt anything.

you can't really hurt anything unless you start by just moving the bar all the way up and trying it. you could fry something then. so just move up slowly and be patient. it takes a while.

got it

i think i got it to its max anymore and seriously wrong thins happen ...as of now nearly unnoticable and rare glitches occur on things id consider extremely 3d and not on my games or normal apps ....kinda cool to get more for my money normal core limit 270 mem limit 400 new core 340 new mem 415 kinda neat and stuff runs sweet

got your core from 270 to 340? that's pretty good. you could remove the heatsink \, clean the bottom of it and the gpu, and re-apply a perfect layer of arctic silver 3 and reattach the heatsink. even if you won't push your gpu further, it will let it run cooler.

Thanks taurus - I used coolbits, and overclocked my GF4 Ti 4600 from 300/650 (3DMark 8389) to 325/660 (3DMark 8557) :)

w00t :p

I have the MSI Geforce4 MX 440 64mb DDR and my card's at 345mhz core by 515 mhz memory

3Dmark Score

just over 7k .. not bad with a GF4MX :D

/edit .. forgot to say .. all stock cooling on the video card, it's running at 27c and CPU temp of 32c, Case temp of 20c

-Quezacotl

Nice... Can you tell me how to overclock an Athlon XP 1800+ like you did, I got the same :p

Btw, that was the first time I had ever OC'd anything! LOL.

Overclocking

Nice job with the O'C :D

I don't know exactly how much you know about overclocking but I'll explain what I did and give you links on where you can read up on it more indepth ....

First thing I did was change my voltage for the CPU ...
there are many ways to do this it's a matter of how secure you are in doing them.

The method I chose was to close the L11 middle bridge which gives me a voltage of 1.85v instead of 1.75 that way I didn't have to cut or blow any bridges

Athlon XP Unlocking - C/O Ocinside

That will show you what bridges do what ...

You'd only need to up the voltage if you intend on overclocking HIGH .. if you just want a little more juice from the FSB most people don't have to worry about it ... I've 1.9 which is I think the Athlon XP 2400+

Connecting Bridges C/O Overclockers.com

That will show you how to close bridges...

That method will give you the best result..

Next ... my motherboard I got lucky for mine... I have the ECS K7S5A ... and theres a guy who wrote a bios to allow me control of my FSB in the bios ... I have it set at 147/147 right now .. it can go higher I had it at 166/166 which gave me 1909 mhz but my Power Supply is insufficent and it was not 100 % stable ...

You'll have to look for information about your motherboard these sites are the best to use

http://www.overclockers.com/
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/01q4/011112/index.html
Tom's Hardware - Small Movie To Show Unlocking
Forums For Most Motherboard Makes/Models

That should get you started ... need more help let me know :D

- Quezacotl

Memory

the other thing you might want to do is see if your motherboard allows you to change the memory timings, do a search in google to find out what that is ... I found a boost in my 3dmark score when I tweaked up mine....

with a video card like that I'd have guess'd it to be higher than 8k ... have you looked on madonions forums on how to tweak your settings .. like turing off AA and stuff like that??

- Quezacotl

Well, I have a K7S5A aswell, don't know about the Manufacturer though. Would that Bios allow me to OC the processor? I know about the FSB - its 133/133, I can turn it down to 100/100 (Which gave me 1150Mhz). Over than that, I don't want to risk any physical stuff, as I could never convince my Dad to get a new one in less than a month, and I have no experience in it, I'll probably do that when I get a new processor, and 'experiment' on this one.. LOL.

if thats the motherboard you have its made by ECS as well (EliteGroup)

The only thing you could do then is to change the fsb...

With the default bios you can't really go very far
but if you go to

http://www.lejabeach.com/ECS/ez.html

and get the newest OC Bios ... you will have more control over your FSB ... options like

138/138
143/143
147/147
150/150
166/166

and those would be the FSB you would use .. but don't bother trying for 166/166 it wont boot ... most people get 166/166 by using a program called Speedfan

OH OH WAIT ...

if you dont want to flash your BIOS ... use speed fan and change your FSB ... just don't crank it all the way up :D ...

http://www.almico.com/speedfan406.exe

- Quezacotl

Thanks, so much - Speedfan worked, I set it to something like 1.67Ghz, then went one up (to 150), and my PC crashed LOL. Just gonna try again.

Well, Speedfan ain't working anymore, but my system is fine.

Can't re-install it for some strange reason, and I am unsure if I should flash my BIOS, I've only ever done that for official BIOS updates. I have checked and that is the same MB as mine, I can tell from the look oof the board on websites and the chipset, etc.

If you are sure one works, as in you have used one yourself, please tell me which one. I get confused easily, and well, I am only a 14 year old, so please bear with my low ability on this :)

N/P

Yup Yup no prob' I'm patient

I'm not at my computer right now so I can't do much from here... When I get back to my pc I'll send you the version that I've been using for a bit now, it's real stable and gave me no problems to flash ... it's really easy to do

get a boot disk .. (www.bootdisk.com) for windows 95 or 98...

copy the flash file and new bios file on to the disk ....

and boot into dos with it ...

run flash file ex... aminflash355 newbios.rom ...

it will do its updates .. and prompt you if everything is correct ... it will tell you if it is the right version ....

then it will reboot .. and your good to play in the newly flashed bios .. :D

So I'll be back after to finish helping ya !!

:)

- Quezacotl

Do I need a special bootdisk? I already have W98, and W95 boot disk.

Sorry

Sorry I didn't get home till late ... I'm on my way out to my grandmothers funeral ... it'll last till 8:30 (my time) so email me (quezacotl@sympatico.ca) and I'll help ya out .. dont want to keep bringing up this thread and botherin other people :D

- Quezacotl

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back