Video Sound Problems

N

Not Bman

I have a file downloaded that plays sound effects but no voice.

I am running VLC (no problems normally) and xvid codec installed. This is the only video I have ever downloaded with this problem (i think). I am wondering what else could cause this, is it just how the video is or am I missing something?

get gspot - it will tell you what codecs the file requires - some times they use strange codecs, i always use ffdshow and mpc

I never knew about that program, but it says its XVID which I have installed.

I am assuming it's just a bad file, but is there anything else it could be?

ahhhh I didn't read all of it

It says the audio codec is "0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3" and is not installed.

Where do I find this, what is it part of? I never needed a sound codec before.

vlc should play ac3 - think its in the settings, or you could get ac3filter

Yea i figured, never had problems before, is there a reason it wouldn't work now?

I will try ac3filter, and if it does not work then I know its the file itself.

try ac3filter + media player - it should play - if it does its a vlc setting - it messes me about when i use spdif

I installed the ac3filter and played it in media player and it worked.

Now I don't want to use media player, so ideas on how to fix VLC player, note once again this is only video that has done this.

Also, if I burn this to DVD (i normally use DVD Flick) will the sound have the same problem?

when you say burn it to dvd do you mean "as is" or converting it to dvd mpeg ? also is this out to an audio reciever (digital) ?

It converts to DVD format, which ever that is, not sure. And then burns it.

well if it converts it to dvd then no you wont have a problem as all dvd players will play ac3 :)

Thanks for the help, I hate how once in awhile one stupid file don't work.

Anyways, thanks once again. *I have to wait to give rep, I give you to much lol

see above - about the output of the audio, if like me you have it going to a digital reciever, you have to tell it to use spdif, and under preferences -> audio -> output module = win32 waveout extension output (you will have to tick the advance settings box to see them though)

Where do I find these preferences, you talking about the program converting it to DVD, or the receiver itself?

its how vlc sends the audio.

settings -> preferences -> bottom right hand corner there is a box - advanced options, tick it

expand audio menu on the left -> output modules -> audio output module - in the drop down menu pick win32 waveout expansion module.

doing that stops vlc playing the ac3 like its screetching and popping, for me it does anyway

That didn't do anything for me. Same problem.

I am going to get another video from same source and see if it works in VLC, I hope it does cause I don't want this problem again.

*Yea only that one video, not going to cry over it lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just notced with GSpot after installing the AC3 codec it still says it's not installed. And makes sense since it still doesn't play the sound correctly.

How does that make sense, I ran the install for the AC3 codec but its not installed? According to GSpot anyways.

*EDIT

now it says it is installed, but still doesnt help, ARG!!!

*EDIT AGAIN

if I burn it to DVD (dvd format) can I re incode it as something that will work with everything....

Last edited by a moderator:
I use DVD Flick to convert and burn to DVD.

What is a good program (maybe even similiar to DVD Flick) to convert it back to xvid (avi)?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back