video problems

IDLE

OSNN Senior Addict
i ahve a GEForce 5600FX 256mb card. my problem as of lately is that when playing a game or just in windows my video gets all funked up. kinda looks like a checkered bored but with alot of small lines and a bunch of colors. not sure if this is a video problme.

i have reinstalled drivers. i had the latest detonators and then went abck to 45.23 and that didnt help. any ideas??? this card is only like 8 months old

i dont over clock the card either.

are you overclocking your card @ all? or the cpu?

what you are describing is an example of over-heating on the card... the checkerboard pattern is a tell-tale sign...

check your heatsink and see if it is positioned correctly and does not appear to be lose or anything else like that..

if it is oc'd (either gpu or cpu or both) please underclock and see if this helps out.. if not and RMA might be an option you will have to consider...

so its the processor thats doing this? not the card? neither has been overclocked

i havent takened anything out of the machine. this just started happening a few days ago.

no not the processor idle... if it had been oc'd in some systems that oc's the AGP card as well...

check the heatsink on the video card and see if it is seated properly... if it is than you have a buggered video card most likely...

the symptoms are clearly heat related and most likely arise from improperly placed heatsink or (most often) from overclocked components...

there is quite a bit of dust on the heat sink. i have sprayed it with a can of air. but you are saying the card is basically toast?

try running the card with the hsf cleaned now...

see if it is playing things better...

if not its more than likely you have suffered some heat damage yes...

btw have you checked to see if your heatsink is attached properly and is not loosse?

the heatsink is stabalized. but i found on one of the resistors that there is some orange color corrision. like a car battery does. but since cleaning it out i havent had any trouble with it. so far..

If your card is not using all pixel pipelines, this can happen. Errors like this were common back when people were trying to softmod their Radeon 9500 pros. Run 3dmark01 or 03, and compare fill rates against these. If your scores are significantly lower, you probably have a broken pixel pipeline.

interesting thing happned. the same problem occured. the checkered effect while running 3dmark03. it got thru the 1st game test then pooped on me on the start of the second game......

i ran it again and had the same issue...so now what?

IDLE said:
the heatsink is stabalized. but i found on one of the resistors that there is some orange color corrision. like a car battery does. but since cleaning it out i havent had any trouble with it. so far..

Sounds like you actually have a capacitor leaking electrolyte. I'd say the card is dead or will soon be. I hope you can RMA it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back