Video Performance: solved at last?!

Eck

.user
I think I may have finally figured out what was hindering my 3dmark 01 score and also my video performance issues. I believe it is my RAM. I was bored today, so I was messing around. I benched 3dmark 01, stock everything: 12,200 points. That was usual for me since I never knew what was wrong. I decided to tweak my RAM since I am now in dual channel mode with DDR 3200 that's running at 2100 to coincide with my FSB. That leaves quite a bit of tweaking room...

So, I changed all the settings to their lowest values. Boom, 3dmark01 goes up to 13,300. That's about where I should be. BUT, SiSoft Sandra still only shows my memory bandwidth benchmark at 3100MB/s. Not quite where it should be, which is around 4200MB/s. 75% bandwidth efficiency... great. Before the tweaking I was getting 74%.

Now what's interesting is I decided to overclock as much as I could. I've got an FSB of 156, giving me 2.81GHz. I also overclocked my video card as much as possible, and ran 3dmark01. I got this score.

Not bad, not bad.

Then I ran Sisoft Sandra yet AGAIN, and it gave me 3700MB/s. But with my FSB this high, it still is only giving me 75% bandwidth efficiency. WTF is the deal here? Could it be that I got cheap RAM? Is that likely at all?

i may be wrong, but i didn't think you were supposed to expect your effective bandwidth to equal your theoretical. i thought there'd be overhead like anything else, but, thinking about it some more, i don't know if memory would have overhead..? good question.

Well no, not 100%. But the benchmarks that I've seen online are mostly 97% or 98%. Even back on my 800MHz machine with PC133 I was getting 96%.

It's almost not possible for it to be 100%, but it shouldn't be off by 1/4 of it's maximum. My overclock shows that my RAM is capable of doing at least 3800, yet it efficiency stays that same. :-/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back