video out problem.

mooo

thecyberninja
i have a little older pc, 1.1 athlon xp with a geforce mx 440 videocard. About 2weeks ago i thought the hd died and didn't use it till the other day. i turned on the PC and it booted fine. I formatted windows and after about 20minutes of being it the screen became really jumpy. Its hard to explain, but about 1inch from the sides and then about half of an inch from there it just jumps. It can't be the monitor bc i have tried on 2 different ones. So any on what might cause this. I have never seen it be this bad before.

Usually that's the monitor going bad, but it could be the video card. Re-seat the connectors and dust off the fans is about all you can do.

LeeJend said:
Usually that's the monitor going bad, but it could be the video card. Re-seat the connectors and dust off the fans is about all you can do.
Yeah I was thinking monitor right up till he said it was fine on 2 other boxes. You can try re-seating the video card like LeeJend suggested. If that doesn't work try swapping in a known good video card and see if the problem continues. If it's the card you have a reason to upgrade. :D

I swapped out with an old ati and it worked fine. Now i just have to figure out what is causing this.

mooo said:
I swapped out with an old ati and it worked fine. Now i just have to figure out what is causing this.
Well if changing the card fixed it then it seems that old card is giving up the ghost. You should be able to replace it fairly cheap if all you want is something low end.

yea, just going out of the house sucks :p
/me likes to stay all reclused up

mooo said:
i have a little older pc, 1.1 athlon xp with a geforce mx 440 videocard. About 2weeks ago i thought the hd died and didn't use it till the other day. i turned on the PC and it booted fine. I formatted windows and after about 20minutes of being it the screen became really jumpy. Its hard to explain, but about 1inch from the sides and then about half of an inch from there it just jumps. It can't be the monitor bc i have tried on 2 different ones. So any on what might cause this. I have never seen it be this bad before.

just curious ... did you happen to have a magnet anywhere close to teh monitor? I made teh mistake once with a 20inch trinitron monitor taking a picture of these 40lb subwoofers with my webcam too close to teh monitor. and it did something like you are talking about after that.

na, no speakers near them. I think its just the last days of the card

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back