Video Icon Preview

N

Not Bman

Please see attached image.

Notice how the .avi files have a nice preview, and the mkv have the icon type thing. I was wondering if there was a way to change that, make all of them show the preview?

Unless I am blind I can't seem to find anything on this on Google, I guess most people don't care lol.

And please mind the type of videos, yes I am Evil, I am sorry. geez lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it'll change by simply changing the default application to open that file format :)

Some applications show a thumbnail of the video, others show either an icon of the file format or the application icon :)

Nope, as you can see, both the nice preview and the icon like preview both have the MPC logo on them, both default for the program. I believe .avi is the only format that shows the nice preview. But there must be away.

mine show thumbnails

mkvfd5.jpg

mine dont either.. how did u do that tzepp?

I need to know!!!!! I have a bunch of mkv, mov and other ones that don't seem to do it.

I didn't do anything but look in a directory that I knew had them.
Everything on my system is kept up to date but I'm guessing yours is the same. Not sure where the setting is for it but someone mentioned that while installing klite mega codec pack there is an option if you scroll down to enable thumbnails for a whole slew of formats

I do not use Klite Mega Codec pack, so maybe that is the only way...I will check out if there are any settings for FFDshow

And yes Reaper is a cool show, so don't worry. :D

But I have noticed that some Codec packs have extra goodies to do things as tzepp pointed out.

well... if u use haali's media splitter, i found a way to (kinda) fix it

here

im gettin a few white ones, but its better than nothin

I tried using Haali's media splitter, but didn't work.

Might just have to use Klite instead of FFDshow.

codec packs are crap, easy solution to this, well sort of, i get black thumbs, but normally haali would handle this but as its only 32bit and vista x64 explorer is 64bit it wont call it.

Run the .reg file inside the rar and you should get thumbs, all be it black ones, still its better than nothing, for media centre (if you us that) get latest ffdshow tryout x64.

You may also need a 64 bit splitter for you to get the thumbs, which i have also added, extract the file to c:\windows\syswow64 folder and register it

regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\nameoffile.ax (if it errors about no such program switch v and r around in regsvr32, as i always get it mixed up) :)

in media center you will get proper thumbs though :p

Last edited:
Why you talking about x64, i am 32bit.

I'd rather not have haali, it seems to mess with my FFDShow and change settings. Stupid windows should regonize mkv and mov and all those good things.

thought you were - in that case you will need haali - as it is that that extracts the thumbnails, its in its settings, haali dont change anything in ffdshow, never has when i used it on 32bit

I just said Haali didn't work, it changed settings and didn't get the thumbnails.

All it did was make .mkv not default to MCP. So I uninstalled.

haali only handles the container, in this case mkv, tell media player classic that you want it as the default to play mkv, and what does haali change in your ffdshopw settings because this is the first i have ever heard of a splitter for a container changing anything anything in ffdshow

Will Haali add a thumbnail to .mov files as well? or only mkv.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back