Video Card Suggestions

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
My daughter just got Sims 2 and the graphics are extremely sluggish. I want to replace her video card but don't know what to get ... nothing too expensive as I'm poor :p

Sims 2 Specs:

System requirements

* --With a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM (such as nvidia GeForce 2 or better or ATI Radeon 7000 or better):
* Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000
* 600 MHz P3 processor
* 256 MB RAM
* At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
* --Without a non-T&L capable video card (such as TNT2 or Intel Integrated for example):
* Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
* 1.5 GHz processor
* 256 MB RAM
* At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
* --Recommended video cards (and the more video memory the better):
* ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
* Nvidia Geforce 4 or FX series cards

Lemme here those recommendations :)

If it's supposed to run on a GF2 shouldn't really need anything overly powerful.

Are you sure it's the video card causing problems, what are the full machine specs?

Dunno the system specs off hand. I'm at work until 18:30 but I'll look and post the system specs when I get home.

J, do you have a budget for us to work within? :)

here are a few options...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-128-189&depa=1

approx $90 after shipping... pretty decent performance and since it has bandwidth saving tech it will work better @ slightly higher resolutions and level of detail than 5200 or 5500 cards...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-141&depa=1

approx $75... should be about the same or a little slower than the card posted above but its also cheaper...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-164-022&DEPA=1

$69... it should perform the same or better than the 5700LE and its much cheaper :)

----

all the cards I posted have 128 bit memory... basically it means more bandwidth == smoother game play for you...

if you can help it... DO NOT BUY 64bit memory cards... they are the spawn of satan... :eek:

jewelzz i have sims 2 and a 9600XT and it runs really slow on my system too. i don't think its the video card. i think sims just requires a lot of ram (more than 256)

nevermind then. and by the way i don't think sims is always stable b/c it froze on gamecube

We've never had any problems with any of The Sims games freezing on a PC

Jewelzz said:
We've never had any problems with any of The Sims games freezing on a PC

you haven't run them on a PII 333MHz under Win98SE like my step-daughters had to then! (poor little mites!) Or have you? Maybe it was the cheats I gave them that did for it!

i ran the sims (one not two) under a 266mhz pc aqnd it was fine. its just sims 2 and bustin out require so much more than the first one

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back