Video Card Recommendations Please

Tbubr

OSNN Newbie
Just upgraded my monitor to a dell, 20 inch ultrabrite, wide screen. It requires a card that supports WSXGA+. My existing card will not. Anyway, I have a Compaq Presario, it has an athalon 1.52 mghz processor, 1 meg of ram and 1 gig of hard drive memory. I plan to add a tv tuner card as well. Most of my work involves photoshop, but I would like to take full advantage of the monitor.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Tbubr said:
Just upgraded my monitor to a dell, 20 inch ultrabrite, wide screen. It requires a card that supports WSXGA+. My existing card will not. Anyway, I have a Compaq Presario, it has an athalon 1.52 mghz processor, 1 meg of ram and 1 gig of hard drive memory. I plan to add a tv tuner card as well. Most of my work involves photoshop, but I would like to take full advantage of the monitor.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend getting more ram, for sure, and probably a bigger hard drive.

As to the video card, a Radeon 9550 or 9600 will be adequate enough not to be the bottleneck at the speed your processor runs.

sorry about the hard drive , it's 100 gig and the specs seem to indicate that the ram cannot be increased beyone 1 megabite

Tbubr said:
sorry about the hard drive , it's 100 gig and the specs seem to indicate that the ram cannot be increased beyone 1 megabite

Um, don't you mean gigabyte?? Sorry, but 1 megabyte of RAM just seems way too small.... :eek:

Bob

Tbubr said:

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a budget? I would recommend an agp bfg6800 gt. These are widely available and nearly the best available. I dont feel its worth you purchasing a 7800 or even a 6800 ultra. the 256ddr3 on the 6800gt should more than be enough to use photoshop.

And like previously mentioned ..i think you should increase the ram as well. I cant think of a reason why it couldnt be increased.

Oh yeah ..i hope a presario isnt a laptop cause i have no idea about brand name computers and their respected or (disrespected) model names/numbers.

If you do a lot of work with Photoshop and other graphics manipulation, increasing the RAM is a good thing. And yes, everyone is hounding on you about this because you said you have a 1 GB hard drive and 1 MB of RAM.

Clearly you don't mean system RAM as Windows wouldn't even load on that. Do you mean 1 GB, are you talking the cache on the hard drive?

BTW, I have an AXP 1900+ which is a 1.6 GHz Athlon XP. I'd seriously suggest upgrading your system first, and concern yourself with a graphics card upgrade after. One of these recent gen ATI or nVidia cards would be overkill with either of our processors. About all that would be noticed is "free" AA or anisotropic filtering, as the card would be held so far back that turning on these features wouldn't make much difference.

Photoshop benefits from heaps of ram and heaps of processor muscle.

you want to get yourself upto 1.5GB of ram (xp will use the swap file to take it to just the right side of 3.5GB to be stable - dont add further ram else you'll have problems with windows ind its 4GB ram limit) and up to maybe athlon 3200 barton, Radeon 9800 Pro would be fine - you could probably get a 9800 AIW to kill 2 birds with one stone

Yes, my mistake, I have 1 gig of ram and 100 gig of hard drive.

I see the issue with the processor speed. I will contact compaq to see if I can upgrade, doubt it.

Well, the visiontek radeon 9600 with 256k is very pretty. However, I have been trying to install it for 3 days now on my compaq presario 8000z. All technical specs seem to be ok but it will not boot correctly. What a pain. Back it goes to Dell.

Next....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back