video card question

• Thread starter sabwafare2001
  • Start date
S

sabwafare2001

I own a AG315-64 Video Magic 64mb sdram video card, my scores on 3dmark are always below 2000. If I upgrade my video card, even back to a 32mb, will my scores be better or/and would it just be better to get a another one period. I don't want to spend more than $70 on one.

K7s5a
XP 1800 @ 1.64
Generic 256 PC2100 Basic Value
Video Magic 64mb video card
lite-on dvd 16x
lite-on cdrw 24x10x40
ibm 80gig 7200rpm
fujitsu 20gig 5400rpm
400W Allied psu
Dragon Orb 1 fan
AMR 56k modem

at price watch I see plenty of video cards for about or under $70

So why are you the only one that says these's no go card for $70. In all the other forums I asked this question in they gave me plenty of suggestions and they said a $70 card could be better.

Catch, that is only your opinion. Damn, I have a TNT2 and I think it does ok. You just believe the hype. You don't have to spend $200-400 to have a decent card that will only serve to boost benchmarks. Go by what you see and what you really need it for.

AND STOP BEING SO GODDAMN COCKY!!!

Maybe because I'm the only one who knows what he's talking about...?

Video Card

my scores on 3dmark are always below 2000

I hate to agree with "Catch" on this (Because he IS a little cocky!) However this person specifically mentioned his 3D Mark scores. AND as that is tied squarely to the responsiveness of his video card I would say $70.00 isn't enough either. If he wants to compete with the big boys one of the newer faster Nvidia Cards or one of the ATI Radeon cards would help him there more than a 2 year old TNT2 card would. For all intents and purposes a $70 cars would do most every thing he would want. However, if he wants to move into the upper eschelons of the 3D mark crowd unless somebody coughs him up a Radeon 9000 or 9700 as a $70 charity case he needs to invest more than $70.....Oh and by the way...Pricewatch is a good guide, but if you want realistic prices you usually need to go to about pg. 5 of what you are looking at and judge the prices from there. I have known a number of people who have not gotten what they thought they were going to get either "Pricewise" or "Merchandisewise" remember to add shipping & see if you must "Mention Pricewatch" etc. "Let the buyer beware" as with most things in life you get what you pay for. There are however bargains to be had, no denying that.

Best of luck to you!

My System:
SuperCase Full Tower
4 each 80 Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM ATA133 Drives (320 Gig Raid Array)
1 each 80 Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM Boot Drive
1 Each ACOM External (For File Transfer & Backup) 60 Gig (USB 2 & Firewire Connect)
3 each 512Meg Hynix PC2700 DDR 333 Ram (1.5 Gig)
ABIT AT7 Max Motherboard
SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
A+ GPB 500 Watt Power Supply
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500DV 64 Meg
JVC SVHS HR-S5400U For Video Editing
AMD XP2000+ Processor W/PentAlpha APSK0169B Heatsink & Fan
2 each-SNT Hot-Swap Mobile Racks
Plextor 40/12/40A CDRW
Sony 16X DVD
KDS Avitron 19" True Flat Monitor
Olympus D-40 Zoom 4 Megapixel Digital Camera
HP-1200 LaserJet Printer
Epson Stylus PHOTO 785EPX Color InkJet Printer 2880 DPI
PrimaScan 2400U USB Scanner
Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse
Lite-On Surfboard Wireless Keyboard
WindowsXP Professional

I totally understand, but I guess I should reiterate that it's what you see (or don't see) and not what some benchmark tells you. I'm also tired and cranky this morning, as if you coulnd't already tell that.

Originally posted by catch23
...GeForce 2s are becoming worthless...

I gota GeForce2 MX it works fine, my 3D benchmark scored above a 2000...

It really depends on what you want to play. If you want to play GTA3, UT2003, Doom III and similar newer, "heavy" games, get a GF4Ti or a GF3Ti (cheaper but slower). If you only play a bit older games or mostly not at all, get a GF2 or GF2MX.

u right there catch23

Ya, TNT2 / TNT2 Ultra don't cut it any more,

Ya, it works great with older games, and even gta3 with lots of tweakage and a fast CPU, but the next generation games need at least a Geforce 3 TI,

If you looking for a new card, go with GeForce 4 Ti 4600 once 9700 comes out. I if you have the moeny get the 9700 itself.

9700 out???

the 9700 is out??? Where??? I'v been away for awhile

cheapest next gen card to buy right now is going to be the radeon 9000 or 9000pro at around 90 dollars incl. shipping

I just bought a radeon 8500 retail (clock is 275 or higher v/s 250 for the LE version) and I paid 130 dollars for it...

my 3d scores on sysmark are well over 9000/shade under 10000...

I agree with catch that you are NOT going to get a decent card for under 70 bucks compared to what you have... look for something better... the 8500 is a good buy right now coz its faster than the 9000.. BUT the ti4200 is also dropping in price and is a very good card performance wise...

:)

choose wisely mate.. but don't buy a 70 buck card... thats just throwing your money away... save a little more... eat less taco bell/mc' d's and you will have the money in no time at all...

:)

9700 expected in late september/early october far as I know... 15th october thrown around by a few people...

I heard something like Aug 10th, so thats why i'm suprised that 9700 is out... is it???

I have a TNT2 and can play Army Ops and UT fine. When I can no longer play, I will buy a new one. But it is far from worthless yet.

sabwafare2001:

Geforce2 Ti 64mb = $60 = ~5000 3dmarks
Geforce3 Ti200 64mb = $100 = 8000+
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64mb = $150 = 10,000+

these are from pricewatch and are good name-brand cards from vendors i've ordered from before. the 3dmark scores are estimated based on your system. you decide how much you wanna spend. the geforce 3 and 4 have pixel and vertex shaders which the newest games take advantage of to give some cool effects. as far as ati cards go, i'll let someone else give you their opinion on those. for me: nvidia all the way. i love my gf2.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back