Video Card Poll

Would you rather...

• Total voters
Id rather get an average-card more often (if i could afford it, which i cant :)) because it would have the newer technologies. What do you think?

ming

OSNN Advanced
I'd rather just get a near-top-of-the-range card and use it for around 3-4yrs before replacing it.
I haven't seen any need to replace my GF4Ti Gfx card since I got it back in xmas 2000. There aren't any games/apps that requires more than 128mb memory, nor have I seen any games that specifically require DX9 support from the card itself.

for 3 years i had a 2mb graphics card, and ive recently upgraded to a 256mb card.

so i voted for the bigger jump :p

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
I'd buy as close to the top of the range as I can with my budget, and keep for as long as I possibly can.

chastity

Staff member
Political User
RagnaroK said:
I'd buy as close to the top of the range as I can with my budget, and keep for as long as I possibly can.
I agree with this idea as it actually to a point works out to be cheaper as your not buying a new card more often so you get your money worth from it

Kr0m

OSNN Veteran Addict
If I had the money I'd get one every year. Since I don't it's been 4 years since I've got a newer card.

I buy the top card as soon as it hits the shelf, which is every couple of months...but I have a severe problem....
Radeon 8500 - GeForce 4 Ti4400 - Ti 4600 - Radeon 9700 - GeForce 5900Ultra - GeForce 5950 Ultra....yes I know its stupid but I get bored....

Boy my parents would be proud to know how the inheritence is being spent ....:)

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Buy a computer, it has a card in it. Wait until/if it breaks, get a new card. Repeat with either card or computer when needed. :D

Taurus

hardware monkey
my theory...

a top-of-the-line card won't last twice as long as a decent card, as it will only be 15-30% faster. and it will cost over twice as much. so it's better to go with the more modest card (slightly) more often.

mooo said:
so if i go buy a 9800xt then it won't last as long as a 9600128?
what makes the go bad?
What Taurus means is not that the card physically will last less time (though this may well be the case with all that auto-overclocking and stuff). He means that a top of the line card will not last (performance wise) through two generations of new cards.

falcone

WinFS Advocate :D
i tink the savings for buying an average card every year or so is greater then buying a cutting-edge card n hanging on for a couple of years... eg. a good elsa gladiac card would cost say S$600 or so compared to purchasing a decent card at say S$150-300....

(PS. sorry, i am using singapore dollar's, where the exchange rate is around US$1 to S$1.75... dunno the american prices on those ;))

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amanda99