Video Card Help.... AGP or PCI-E?

razorcandy

OSNN Newbie
Ok, I've looked at the other posts and I'm still lost.
For my birthday thats just passed my mum got me a PCI-E Geforce 7300.
It just about doesn't fit into the slot and I don't want to force it and break my computer.

My heads about to go brain explodey because I don't think its an AGP slot either. I know the ones at the bottom are PCI, but I want to stay away from those.

Please help!!!

Sorry about the nasty quality of the pics, camera phones are baaaaaad.
Photo-0117.jpg

Re: oh god help

Thats an AGP slot

I must have bad eyes it almost does not look like agp?

mobo info or pc model?

Last edited:

Looks like an AGP slot, bud.

Indeed looks like an AGP slot, and you need a PCI Express slot for the card

Yeah I figured that much. I was beginning to think it was a PCI-E because
my uncle gave me a Radeon 9600 Pro. It an AGP 8X. Does the 8X matter, because straight away you can see that it won't fit!

Can anyone tell me what kind of card would be suitable for my computer? Its a Compaq Presario SR1000

Guys, get glasses. The MB shown has a PCI-e slot and the video card is a PCI-e card.

The rear edge of an AGP slot sits a much further back from the rear end of the PCI slots than what is on that MB.

The video card connector has the characteristic PCI-e key slot and MB retaining clip equidistant from each end and a very long connector compared to AGP or PCI.

My MB has PCI-e, AGP, and PCI slots so you can see the difference. The PCI-e (slot all by itself off towards the CPU socket) almost lines up with the olde PCI slots. The orange AGP slot (covered by purple sticker) is set much further in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...t 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Note the card and MB photos were taken at different distances and are not to scale.

The card should fit into the slot. Where is it not fitting? Sometimes the card rear panel bracket doesn't line up well with the case and the bottom needs to be bent slightly.

Last edited:
Leejend it seems to me that you are assuming he took the picture from the rear of the PC...

I am looking at it that he took it from the front and what you see as being further down is in fact the back end of the AGP slot.... and the top of the photo is where the cards are secured...

Just my $.02....

I think its an AGP as well..

Look at the CPU position. It is to the right of the black slot which means the top of the picture is the rear of the MB. The Case connections are also in the lower left corner also confirming that the top of the picture is the rear of the case.

I have some old reading glasses if you'd like me to send them? :laugh:

Last edited:
ok NOW im confused...

You are saying the same thing I am...
the Top of the pic is the Rear of the PC...

so how then can that slot be a PCI-E slot? when the slots themselves are set further back (as in the entire slot) the beggining of this slot is almost even with the other PCI slots...

????

Its definately AGP
Its way too big to be a PCI-E... I think, although in comparison to the fan its kinda small... it doesnt look like mine...
-Jack

OP, can you confirm at what angle the picture was taken from?

mlakrid said:
ok NOW im confused...

You are saying the same thing I am...
the Top of the pic is the Rear of the PC...

so how then can that slot be a PCI-E slot? when the slots themselves are set further back (as in the entire slot) the beggining of this slot is almost even with the other PCI slots...

????

Right, we agree on the orientation and NLM just confirmed it.

The PCI-e slot is almost in line with PCI at the back of the PC. The AGP slot is set 1 inch further in from the rear of the case than the old PCI slots. Look at the picture on the newegg link I posted. That MB has both AGP and PCI-e. The PCI slot has a purple sticker over it. That is the MB I have. I have an old AGP MB sitting on the table in front of me and the AGP slot on it iis 1inch ( I just measured it) further away from the back of the case than a PCI slot.

The offer of the reading glasses is still open...

PCI-e MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...9 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AGP MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...IA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

PCI-e vid card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...6MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

AGP vid card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ntage 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

Thinking about it, I'll swap the glasses for some of whatever you've been imbibing.

Last edited:
it looks too long for AGP i sware it looks like a PCIE and alos the PCIE slots are kinda thiner and that looks like its thinner than agp

i say PCIE

do you know the exact model number of the computer

there should be more to it other than
Compaq Presario SR1000

maybe some letters after the 1000 like:
Compaq Presario SR1002LA??????

also razorcandy have you tryed to move the white switch to an outward position so that its leaning out from the slot then trying to put the card in so it clicks in and locks?

LeeJend said:
Right, we agree on the orientation and NLM just confirmed it.

Thinking about it, I'll swap the glasses for some of whatever you've been imbibing.

I am working 2PM to 11PM, things arent making sense...

or then again it could be the remnants of the morphine I was given the other night.... (not joking either)

:D

Its PCI-E stop arguing. Just give the card a firm push and it'll go in - you may need to fold the bottom of the bracket on the left side of the card if it seems to be catching somewhere - just give it a waggle and it will go in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back