Video card <$100

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I'm looking for a suggestion for a video card less than $100. PCI-E. I don't game. I'm partial to ATI (I don't know why?).

This is probably going to be matched with a FX60 and MSI mobo.

I assume the X1650 will have no problems running Aero in Vista?

I was looking more at something like the X1300's but will spend a few extra bucks if necessary.

No you dont need a DX10 card for that in Vista it runs fine on a 7300GT

The X1600pro 512mb is a fine card for the price I just sold the one I had with a 3800X2 was a nice little setup

How about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161040

Or this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814142082

Only problem is they all look like they will only do DirectX 9. Don't you need DirectX 10 for Vista and the Aero goodies?

AFAIK, ATI won't have a DX10 card out for a few more months.

That first card is 128MB of onboard ram... Would 128 be sufficient? I don't like eating into system memory; if I did, I'd just get a mobo with onboard video.

The second looks cool except that the review about the loud fan worries me. This PC will most likely be in a bedroom and on 24x7

Either is fine. Texture memory is used predominantly for gaming textures. If you don't game and don't do 3D graphics rendering work you don't need a large on board texture memory.

PS 1600 PRO is the way to go for a decent speed ATI board under $100. But are you sure you want to buy something now with DX10 on the horizon? Just nagging.

Either is fine. Texture memory is used predominantly for gaming textures. If you don't game and don't do 3D graphics rendering work you don't need a large on board texture memory.

PS 1600 PRO is the way to go for a decent speed ATI board under $100. But are you sure you want to buy something now with DX10 on the horizon? Just nagging.

Yeah. I'm putting together a new system for my studio on the cheap. I need a PCI-E card for it.

A 7600GT is probably the most powerful thing you can get for about that price. It's not ATI, but it's a swell performer.

Last edited:
But if your not a gamer I would say ATI for other reasons that being its multimedia capabilities.

that one is good and a great price... 256mb gddr2 is enough

Make sure the case has good airflow. The fanless design depends on the incidental airflow across the fins from the CPU and case fans for cooling.

On the other hand unless the cards are doing 3D work (which includes the fancy VISTA desktops now) they don't generate much heat.

I'm throwing it in a Coolermaster Centurian case with 120mm fans front and back and a 120 in the psu.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back