Video Capture

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I've already got a nice new video card, but I purchased it thinking I would need it for gaming only and neglected to get any other cool features. Now however I want to save some TV shows (Soprano's, 24, ATHF) but I don't know what I need to do this. I'm not looking to make DVD's, I just want a nice TV rip of the program, I want it to be close to the same frame rate (I have no idea what that is in the US .. or anywhere else for that matter) and I want to be able to edit out any commercials that I find. What kind of device will I need for this and how much am I looking at spending?

Thanks in advance.

You'll need a TVcapture card, most come bundled with the software to rip onto the harddrive. WinTV, Hauppage are among the cards you will be looking for.

I have the ATI TV Pro. It's a good solution that is inexpensive. It's not the best TV capture card available, but it gets the job done and I'm satisifed with what it has to offer.

Ok, I'm looking at the ATI now. My only question now is will it capture from my cable box ... cause all the cards kinda make it sound like it connects from the card directly to the cable outlet.

I'm sure that it will connect through the cable box. However, since the software acts as a tuner itself, I'm not sure that you'll need to use the cable box... unless it's a digital box.

It is digital ... I hate it. Next time I'm going with Directv or Dish Network!

nonsense, just buy a splitter from radio shack and run the feed from the output source of your box to your computer. Although you might be able to get the unalderated feed from the incoming line by looking up ...I dont know Google?! ;)

muzikool said:
I have the ATI TV Pro. It's a good solution that is inexpensive. It's not the best TV capture card available, but it gets the job done and I'm satisifed with what it has to offer.
You say that the ATI TV Wonder Pro is not the best TV Tuner... Can you provide some info on which are? I am doing the same. I have a computer that I use for gaming that I want to also make a HTPC. So I would like to know the best!

I've used a winfast, ati and avermedia card in the last 9 months and was not pleased with the stored image quality of any of them. It was fine for TV viewing but play back was too grainy looking. I tried using the lowest loss compression options and was still disappointed.

Unless you go for a $$$ card I'm not sure you'll be happy with the results. And then stored image size may be a problem.

Let us know if you find something you like.

Like most things, higher price equals higher quality. And also like most things, you can always get something better/more expensive. The question is what your standard of quality is, and what your budget is. The ATI card that I have is less expensive, but I am satisfied with it's performance and so it is a good solution for me.

muzikool said:
Like most things, higher price equals higher quality. And also like most things, you can always get something better/more expensive. The question is what your standard of quality is, and what your budget is. The ATI card that I have is less expensive, but I am satisfied with it's performance and so it is a good solution for me.

Agreed, you can get pretty beefy video quality for recordings, and the card itself is pretty robust - if you have a video card with semi-decent capabilities, you wont even notice the cpu usage of the tuner.

OK... I have pretty much decided on buying a ATI TV Wonder Pro. As far as I can tell, it is the best card that ATI has to offer (Unless the TV Wonder VE is better ???). Anyways I was thinking about just getting the remote with it. I am eventually going to be using Snapstream's Beyond TV 3 Software. Should I just hold off on the remote and get Snapstreams FireFly remote... or will the ATI Remote work with the software perfectly also?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back