Vid card question

Anakist

Way too much time here...
Which will be better, a Radeon 7000, or a Prophet 4500??

James

Originally posted by Anakist
Which will be better, a Radeon 7000, or a Prophet 4500??

James

whats the GPU of a prophet 4500 ?

-edit- nm... its a kyro II gpu...

on the surface it would be a better option than the 7000 radeon... but @ the same time I don't know about driver support and other potential issues for the product...

are you looking to buy these products or simply looking to get some info on them ?

I am getting them both. Can an AGP card be used in a pci slot?? This comp has no agp.

James

I am getting them both. Can an AGP card be used in a pci slot?? This comp has no agp.

James

no it can't

they have different sizes :)

an agp port is an advanced graphics port... its basically like a pci slot except it operates @ a higher frequency and allows for greater bandwidth... and operating voltages may not quite be the same as for pci slots :)

but no.. you can't use an agp card in a pci slot..

as for buying em... if you are buying hte cards for anything like gaming I would HIGHLY recommend getting a new mobo/cpu perhaps...

whatever you get is going to be incredibly cpu limited... so it may just be wise to stick to the video card you already have untill such time as you upgrade the whole computer...

my $0.02...

i did a littel research and, surprisingly, the kyro 2 seems to be a better card. here are some colored bars to look at.

but this is said in the beginning:

"A new addition to the low-end tests is the 64MB version of the Kyro II, which we couldn't test on the newer motherboards due to its 3.3V AGP 2X interface. The Kyro II SE, which already uses the more modern 1.5V AGP 4X interface was unfortunately not available to us for testing."

so, if you get the kyro, make sure it's the 1.5volt/agp4x version or you won't be able to use it with your motherboard.

[edit] lol, sorry.. i'm late. that's what i get for leaving a window open for half an hour before replying to it.

so, let me get this straight... you want 2 video cards in your system? trying to get a dual-monitor setup or something?

I am getting them in a trade and was wondering which one to use.

I need a slot 1 mobo for my GF's comp with agp. Any ideas?? I have an a7n8x so I will be using the 4500 probably until I can afford a good card.

James

I am getting them in a trade and was wondering which one to use.

I need a slot 1 mobo for my GF's comp with agp. Any ideas?? I have an a7n8x so I will be using the 4500 probably until I can afford a good card.

James

Hey, sorry, but the mobo you have is only AMD friendly ( Athlon XP, Duron,...) and it has an Agp slot... am I wrong ?
As for your GF's computer, it may be hard to find a Slot 1 mobo... Slot 1 cpu's are way outdated in my opinion...best choice would be to upgrade to new mobo+Celeron / Duron as they are quite affordable and still use your existing ram....

Yeah I have an amd mobo with agp 8x slot.

GF's comp is a celly 266 and she isn't interested in going faster. So I am sort of looking for a mobo for it.

Starting to think I should just go for an upgrade. Her box in mATX and only has a 145w psu.

James

in a situation like that, you'd really be better off getting a whole new setup. the only thing worth salvaging from the old comp is maybe the harddrive and optical drive. but you might as well get new ones of those for better reliability/performance while keeping the old comp together and working (for whatever you want to use it for).

if you want to just upgrade the processor, you have to upgrade the board, then you'd have to upgrade the power supply and memory. in the end you'll basically have two seperate comps.

The Radeon is a better card, simply because it's got better driver support right now, ATi has a unified driver set now (like nVidia's Detonators), the unified drivers cover anything in the Radeon line. from the original Radeon all the way to the 9800 Pro

Originally posted by Goatman
The Radeon is a better card, simply because it's got better driver support right now, ATi has a unified driver set now (like nVidia's Detonators), the unified drivers cover anything in the Radeon line. from the original Radeon all the way to the 9800 Pro
good point. good driver support is key.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back