VIA Chipset Problems!

• Thread starter ThePunkerGuy
  • Start date
T

ThePunkerGuy

Hey.. i have been looking around and stuff and see like on the front page how via has beta drivers to help work better with xp and i have seen it elsewhere where via is having problems with xp.. i wanna buy the asus a7v266-e with the new via chipset and a athlon xp 1900.. does that via chipset have any problmes with xp???

I guess no news is good news eh? Good luck with your new board. Let us know how you like it.

Hope its good news :) yea.. I'll let ya know how I like it after Christmas when I get it.
- Mike

I'm getting a Msi K7T266 with via chipset and an Athlon XP 1800+ and a Geforce 3 Ti200. I hope there isn't too many problems but i will let ya all know when i get ahold of this puppy tomorrow. I can't wait i'm used to playing Quake 3 at 27 fps.... doesn't that suck lol

one problem (easy to avoid)

I am running an MS-6380 (VIA K7T266) and WinXP Pro. I got the mobo and CPU (AthlonXP 1800+) at the same time I got WindowsXP, so after having installed everything, I decided to look around for tweaks and what not... I found VIA's IDE Miniport Driver v3.14, and it said it would work with WinXP - so I installed it. Whatever you do, DON'T INSTALL THAT DRIVER!!!

After installing it, my bootup was hella slow, and performance in general was awful. Oh yeah, I had no sound too (???) - System restore and driver rollback didn't work, flashing the BIOS didn't do anything, and MSI and Microsoft tech support were unable to help, so I ended up reinstalling Windows, complete reformat and reinstall. No change. Also, VIA's 4-in-1 driver package doesn't work on XP, so there was no way to revert...

The solution was to reformat, and reinstall Win98SE, because the VIA 4-in-1 driver package would actually work in Win98. Then, I reformatted again, and reinstalled WinXP and voila! : back to normal.

Anyway I love my system, my boot time was 12 seconds (pre-Bootvis) and now 9 seconds (post-Bootvis) - it's very stable, never crashes, etc... Just DON'T CHANGE THE MINIPORT DRIVER!!!

:rolleyes:

mavis <---- check out my desktop! :D

Awesome.. do i have to install any drivers for the via chipset or are they all in with xp? Thanks.. can't wait to get my new stuff! What cooling fan do you use to cool your processor? Thanks alot!
- Mike

Cooling... well that's the one thing that's missing from my box. lol

I'm just using a Coolermaster (AMD approved) but I can't remember the model #... and two 80mm case fans. Idle temp: ~41c and load: ~46c... kinda high but I can't seem to get it down. I think I need better thermal compound and a better hs/fan... Maybe one of those GoldenOrbs or whatever they're called... I need to do more research... Anyway my temp is below critical/dangerous, and hasn't caused any probs yet (and I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I can afford a new fan!) :)

mavis

UDMA Mode with VIA

I have not been able to get the VIA 686 (Abit KT7 RAID) to work well with my Maxtor UDMA 133. It will boot in different modes. sometimes its UDMA 1,2,3,4. Have tried cables, cable select, 4n1 4.35, you name it. I was going to try the mini-port driver but after reading the readme file it just didn't look right. There wasn't much info but it appeared to be for something other than the 686 chipset. Thanks for the heads up.

UDMA

I too have been getting problems relating to the VIA chip set. I had a total "meltdown" when starting with the new drivers. Had to do a full format and install. I keep getting the "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME message when trying to install XP. Reading all the solutions and problems and still no luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back