Very Very sttrange problem :-(((((

V

VasquezPL

my PC is:
mobo: ECS k7S5a
ram: 256 MB sdram
proc: Athlon Thunderbird 1ghz (temp 45C)
3d card: Radeon 9100 128mb ddr
music card: SB Live value
--------------------------------------
Everything was OK for a long time, and about 2 weeks ago my PC started to hang.. My PC hangs *ONLY* at 3D games (after couple of minutes it hangs, and I hear noisy sound from the speakers)
I tried to replace GFX card, memory and even power supply adaptor - but without result.
I ofcourse tried to reinstall windoze - didn't help!
so...........I used FSB , and I downclocked my athlon 1ghz to 933mhz and........Everything is ok now!!!!
but It pisses me of when I have to work on 933 because it should work on 1ghz....
Any ideas whats wrong here???
My friend has also that porblem but he has diffrent MOBO, proc=athlon 1.6XP and NVIDIA GFX...

PS.
MY PC WAS NEVER OVERCLOCKED AND IT WAS WORKING WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM FOR A LONG TIME!

PLEASE HELP!
I really heave no idea ::(

you might try re-flashing your bios or at least double check all your settings. My memory timing setting were off once and it caused all kinds of wierd problems. Also, how are your system temps? If your system is good at a lower mhz your processor might be over heating? Double check the cpu fan and the heatsink and make sure everything in making good contact. (Just remember if you take off your heatsink to clean it and re-ap-ply your artic silver 3 or what ever thermal paste you use. Are you fans dirty? Clean them up real good, they might be working but not pushing as much air as they should.

You can also try stripping the pc down to the bare minimums and see if the problem still exists.

computer sounds like its fairly old and if you didn't build it yourself you might want to change the thermal grease/tape between your cpu and HSF is there is tape just take it off all the way that stuff is worthless and causes more heat problems then it solves, especially when its aged a year or so. it also might be getting old and wearing out I have a 1ghz duron that will only run stable at 800mhz now and its a lil over 2 years old, you can get a new tbird for 30 or 40 bucks or you could get a XP 1700+ for 40 or 50.

just checked price watch and a Tbird @ 1ghz is 30 bucks and a XP 1700+ is 42. or you could get a duron 1.3ghz for 35

all really dirt cheap right now

sounds like a heat problem.try reseating your heatsink and make sure its not full of dust.make sure all your fans are working correctly:happy:

i agree... sounds like a heat issue. you live in the northern hemisphere? it is getting warmer...

Originally posted by wolfpac3nWo
do you have the VIA KT400 chipset on that mobo?
K7S5A has a SiS 735 chipset. :huh:

I checked everythin heatsink , paste under processor and everything looks ok. but the problems still stays unresolved :/

My proc temp is 45C - Its good temp for Thunderbird, because Thunderbirds works even on 55C (High core voltage)

I'm not to bright with this stuff, but how about the power supply? Is the fan working on the power supply, could it be overheating? Just a stab in the dark...

Temperal

if all else fails, vasquez... you might wanna chalk it up to a low quality board. the k7s5a, and ecs in general, don't have the best reputation.

Yeah, everybody seems to be going for ASUS A7N8X boards these days, like me they are Very reliable and cheap.:D

hehe I don't think so its mobo fault... I know ecs sucks , but My good friend has the same problem and his mobo is gigabyte
other friend has ASUS - and he has also the same problem
It strange - because I even checked my power suply adaptor and it works fine, I even replaced most parts by new one to check if it would worked stable....but....no results :-((((((((((

OMG< your temp is ABOVE 40c on a slower processor like that?

my 2500+ runs at 35C and tahts with only a 3000rpm fan.
I definatly must be a heat issue with that motherboard, i suggest an Upgrade to an ASUS a7n8x since there cheaper.

Originally posted by Flatbeat_Eddy
my 2500+ runs at 35C and tahts with only a 3000rpm fan.
unless that's while idle and your room is quite cold, i wouldn't trust whatever's giving you that 35° reading.

Max temp i have reached is 40c when 100% usage, but its never Gone higher than 40 when maxed out.

Also i keep my comp running 23/7 given i do install a few progs here and there. Also checked the fan again its actually 2800rpm.
I built it myslef and left good ventilation.

and its my ASUS probe software which is giving me that Temp reading, My bios is pretty much the same too.

Originally posted by VasquezPL
hehe I don't think so its mobo fault... I know ecs sucks , but My good friend has the same problem and his mobo is gigabyte
other friend has ASUS - and he has also the same problem
It strange - because I even checked my power suply adaptor and it works fine, I even replaced most parts by new one to check if it would worked stable....but....no results :-((((((((((

wowowowo..... now if you and 2 other of your friends are having the exact same problem, there is something else going on here that is more like a software issue or a piece of hardware that you all have in common. Maybe even a virus that you all have in common. If I were you, I would remove everything fro my pc except Processor, 1 Stick of Ram, video card, and HD. Fire it up and see if the problem is still there. If it is not, then add the rest of your components 1 at a time till problem reemerges. Also update your anti virus software, (make sure it is set to check all files, not just programs) and run it and see if you have a virus. If all that fails, talk with your friends, and figuare out what you all have in common. An update, new software, a file you all shared, something. You see what I am getting at?

hehe - I checked everything what U r talking about...
Thats why I dont understand whats goin on with my pc :-(

Well, you got me then. All I know is there has to be something that all 3 of you share to have the same exact problem. You might try a going back to a restore point before the problem? Don't know how long the problem has lasted if you will be able to go back that far. Did all 3 of you have the problem start at the same time?

About the only other thing I can think of to do is to make a backup wipe the drive and reinstall everything. If you go this route, don't reload all your stuff right away. Just load XP on there and see if the problem still exists. If not then load the rest of your stuff and check again. If it is there with nothing but XP then I would say hardware failure.

Did you wipe the bios and re-flash it? Might try changing the on-board battery on the mobo, could be something as simple as that. Not sure why it would cause this problem, but when all else fails.........?

Max temp i have reached is 40c when 100% usage, but its never Gone higher than 40 when maxed out.

Also i keep my comp running 23/7 given i do install a few progs here and there. Also checked the fan again its actually 2800rpm.

and its my ASUS probe software which is giving me that Temp reading, My bios is pretty much the same too.
every program you use will give you the same reading. take a look at your temperature diode thingie underneath your cpu next time you have it off. make sure it's bent upwards and touches the bottom of the cpu when you put it in the socket.

Originally posted by Maveric169
Well, you got me then. All I know is there has to be something that all 3 of you share to have the same exact problem. You might try a going back to a restore point before the problem? Don't know how long the problem has lasted if you will be able to go back that far. Did all 3 of you have the problem start at the same time?

About the only other thing I can think of to do is to make a backup wipe the drive and reinstall everything. If you go this route, don't reload all your stuff right away. Just load XP on there and see if the problem still exists. If not then load the rest of your stuff and check again. If it is there with nothing but XP then I would say hardware failure.

Did you wipe the bios and re-flash it? Might try changing the on-board battery on the mobo, could be something as simple as that. Not sure why it would cause this problem, but when all else fails.........?

I tried to reinstall Windoze (nthin changed)
I tried to format hdd (nothin changed)
I tried to check hdds by Norton Antivirus
I tried to wipe BIOS and I tried couple of versions..
I tried another memory
I tried another gfx card (nvidia gf2mx 400)
I tried another Power supply adaptor
I tried to run test (24 hours for memory)
I tried to unplug all stuff beside gfx and one hdd
and...
I tried to slowdown pc by fsb (from 1000 to 933)
and then there was no problems anymore....
3d games were running OK....no hangs anymore
but wtf and why its like that????....

on 1000mhz I can watch DivXs, and to make 100% proc usage
and only 3d games hangs.....

if you had software that could read from the CPU die then you would know your actual temps gigabyte offer software for there boards that do this also where do you live? if u live in maine or something you don't count cuzz its cold up there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back