Very slow when right-click on a desktop icon

F

Fatbob

Hi guys, I'm having a very annoying problem and need help. When I right-click on any desktop icon it takes over half minute (35 seconds to be exact) for the menu to appear. The same thing happens when I right-click on an icon in the start menu. However, when I right-click on a file or directory in Windows Explorer (or a 'save as...' dialog), it works fine, then menu pops up in a flash.

What can be causing this problem with my desktop and start menu (which just started happening recently)? :confused:

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

can you pinpoint an appoximate date this started happening? Can you recall any software you may have installed around then? Can you recall if you installed any service packs or hotfixes? Any updates for any other programs? Have you scanned for a virus?

Until you can find a fix, I would say you should just disable menu animation in the Visual Effects settings.

First off, thanks for the replies guys.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
can you pinpoint an appoximate date this started happening? Can you recall any software you may have installed around then? Can you recall if you installed any service packs or hotfixes? Any updates for any other programs? Have you scanned for a virus?

This started happening last Friday. The most major event that happened prior to this occurring was that I uninstalled WinCvs. That funny thing that occurred after doing this is that when I re-booted my system I had an error that I was missing shlwapi.dll which I was able to copy it back (taking that dll from a co-wokers PC running that same OS and SP). I re-installed SP4 after this as well.

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
Until you can find a fix, I would say you should just disable menu animation in the Visual Effects settings.

That's already off, I'm not a big fan of the menu animation.

What else can I look into? Should I do a repair?

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back