Very slow shutdown of Vista RC1

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Has anyone else had this issue, it takes almost a minute for vista to shut down!?

Are you sure it wasn't installing updates? If an update becomes available and you ignore it in the notification tray then it will install during shutdown.

no nothing is going on, no updates nothing, no programs open, no conflicts.... and it happens everytime. no errors appear or anything.

Has this been happening since you installed RC1? Was it a clean install or an upgrade for Beta 2 or Pre-RC1?

Nothing in the Event Viewer?

it was a clean install on its own drive and yes its been happening since the install. I forgot to even look at the viewer, i just thought of posting this today. i'll look when i get home.

Yeah have a look. On my XP, my second IDE controller for SATA doesn't like windows shutting down and I can see errors in the event log (but no drive problems).

its not XP, its Vista that is taking over a minute to shutdown

oh... :)

to clarify, this is a dual boot machine, one drive have vista on it the other xp, xp has no issues shutting down and does so in about 10 secs or less.

I'm shutting down much faster then XP. Lancer what other software are you running with RC1. Any possible conflicts causing the hang up.

Yeah, has it been shutting down slowly ever since you clean-booted (i.e. directly after first install)?

no i even close all extra apps before i close down now, like napster and the sidebar, just in case, but it still takes about a minute.

no i even close all extra apps before i close down now, like napster and the sidebar, just in case, but it still takes about a minute.

Turn off the sidebar it slows down the shutdown process when closing down, I tested closing down with and without the sidebar in place and there was a difference of about 40 seconds in shutdown time. So this concludes the sidebar does slow down the shutdown.

I have noticed that the more applications you have runn ing the slower it takes to shut down. I have also had the point where it actually fails to shutdown and I have to shut the machinr down manually.

Again this has been raised and logged.

Mecham thanks for the post, but as i said i also have been closing down the sidebar, but it still takes awhile, to be honest though, its not the biggest deal, as when i'm shutting it down, its because i'm not using the pc anymore, so what does it matter.

yeah i guess and i change my mind it still matters to me..... its just annoying.

Mecham thanks for the post, but as i said i also have been closing down the sidebar, but it still takes awhile, to be honest though, its not the biggest deal, as when i'm shutting it down, its because i'm not using the pc anymore, so what does it matter.

Yes...same experience with Pre RC1 and RC! itself. Sometimes 2 or 3 minutes with all apps closed.,using dual and triple boot systems.
XP closes normally.
Although have not regularly tried closing side bar.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back