VERY slow boot

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
when i boot my computer it goes ok until the xp loading screen... it stays there with that small loading bar anything up to around 3 minutes, i have no idea why its doing this, are there any programs or ways in windows i can find out exactly whats taking place when it loads to see if i can find my problem.

any help appreciated

tried defragging hard drive? and/or running chkdsk

1) download and run bootvis

2) when in windows go to run>msconfig and see if there's anything wierd starting up.

3) Longshot, but I've seen this happen with older version 5 of CD Creator when DirectCD isn't updated correctly.

Maybe also check device manager - are there any device issues that you know of? My thinking is that maybe it is trying to resolve a device issue and has to reach a timeout value before it can proceed.

if the pc is on a home/business network then you will need to assign a fixed ip

maybe you have a nasty corrupted driver. I had this kind of problem with intel application accelerator. Maybe I hope not your HD is on it's way to meet it's maker.

i'm not on a network
all my devices are fine }
all my drivers are fine } as everything works great once actually in windows
i dont use those CD progs
and i dont think i can actually check my boot from msconfig.. i am talking about the actual XP loading screen in DOS where it has the 3 little blocks scrolling it does this for a very long time.. not the actual starting up of explorer, msnmsg, sndvol... and all the other apps that load to run windows.

disable the network card and see if it still hangs, and yeh bootviz it, see whats hanging :)

anyone got a link to bootvis i tried to search google butit wont let me on

Start MSCONFIG,

and on the BOOT.INI page, check the option /SOS
It will give you a listing (something like a Linux box booting - but that of Linux is much nicer) of what is being started up. You can see there whats causing the delay...

Greetz

Lukas

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back