Very odd ICS problem

D

dnydam

Hello all - I was hoping to tap some collective wisdom here.

I bought a new computer to replace which will now serve as my ICS server. The old server will now just be a client on the net. I am sharing a cable modem. So here is my setup:

Server: XP Pro, ICS, ICF
Client: 98 SE, std network settings, removed ICS

So here is my problem: The client cannot resolve any IP addresses, even though it is getting an address apparently served to it, meaning:

Server address: 192.168.0.1
Client address: 192.168.0.64 (not sure why it is getting assigned that - I thought x.x.x.2 was standard)

Server: Internet is no problem
Client: Ping localhost works not problem.
Client: Release and Renew gets an IP address with no apparent problem
Client: ping 192.168.0.1 results in a timeout
Client: IE gets server not found errors
Client: ping-ing anything other than itself gets timeouts
Client: ping-ing anything with a IP name vs number gets a timeout on name resolution

So the odd thing is that TCP/IP is working fine. DHCP seems to be working fine. But I get no name resolution and no connectivity.

Any ideas?

I'm usually against this but give it a go anyway. Try changing the IP to static 192.168.0.2 and Default Gateway to 192.168.0.1.
Why you have .64 instead of .2 I don't know. I only know that my computer get pretty different IP:s. I suppose ICS just is that way. :)

Thanks for the advice!

In the meanwhile I did some more troubleshooting (about 4 hours worth). And it turns out it wasn't XP at all.

Turns out that there is a very small defect in the network card that is causing extremely high packet loss. The card still 'pings' itself fine and is able to get very tenuous connections (enough for DHCP resolution). Basically, it is good enough to (just) pass a quality control check, but not good enough for real life use.

The manufacturer is sending me a new card so hopefully that will fix the problem.

Aha. There's a little chance it wasn't the card (if you encounter this again). If you are using hub to share with the other computers and your NIC is set to full duplex, you will get massive packet loss if it even works at all. Setting the NIC to half duplex will fix the problem. This may also occur when using x-over cable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back