Very new to PHP Script

Alex_is_Axel

.:: FTPAlex ::.
Goodmorning everyone,

I am very new to PHP scripting and i am wanting to have a messageboard on my website. I was just wondering if i need to install anything onto my website to make php work? do i need to install anything on my computer to set up php? what do i really need to make php work?

when i open php scripts on my computer on IE, text comes up of the code of the php script. I have Dreamweaver MX and when i put PHP script on the program, nothing displays on the display area from the script. Is this right? what have i/am i doing/done something wrong?

Thank you for your help and time

Sincerly Alex :(

PHP is a server side scripting language, therefore you need a webserver (Apache, IIW, PWS) and the actual PHP program itself, which is available from http://www.php.net

If you want to setup PHP on windows, there is a guide that I wrote in the networking section.

Just to avoid confusion:
"and the actual PHP program itself,"

:)

heh, oops :D
*edits post*

And just for reference, my guide is here

im sorry to be anoying.. but what download of php do i need to download? i went searching and there were loadz of different downloads .. kinda confussed me :(

Thank you for your help

Sincerly Alex

where exactly are you trying to install it to?

If its a windows machine, get the windows version, if its linux get the linux version..etc..

thank you for your help, ill let you know how i get along :happy:

Thank you Speedy_B and Zedric :D

:cool:

Save time and sweat

You can try to install all this or you can have a freeware do it for you:
Try EasyPHP: Here
The soft is in English but you will have part of the site in French.
Here you will find the downloads. Good luck

Thank you Niall, Ill give that a try when i next have any real spare time on my hands for me to set up a server etc.

By the way, :cool:Welcome to NTFS.org:cool:

Thanks !

EasyPHP actually installes Apache, PHP and MySql in one go. It only takes about 10 minutes to get the whole thing running !

My Brother is going to give that EasyPHP a try sometime next week. Ill let you know what he thinks of it

Alex:cool:

Just get some hosting from a free host or paid hosting. Much better than hosting it on your PC, unless you just want to test stuff out.

Oh Yes

I must fully agree to this.
Easyphp sets up a basic apache server with php and mysql. No security settings are made an you MUST ensure a high level of security if you intend to host a live site.
Do no play around with basic setting or you are exposing yourself to serious trouble.

Originally posted by Alex_is_Axel
Do you know any free hosting which supports php X-Istence?

if you dont need a whole lot, ask on http://freewebspace.net/forums/

Mabey some generoes person that has space left will host you. Otherwise tripod.co.uk is your best bet. I dont know of any at the moment that support MySQL that are good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back