VBulletin for Sale on eBay

From the auction:

Q: Can you give me verification that this is a legal copy from vBulletin.com?

A: This isn't a copy of anything... This is a license to run the vBulletin software on your website. After the transfer you will have to login to vbulletin.com and download the software. I don't know how I would prove this is a legit license, but it is 100% legit, legal, and real.

Yeah, I saw that, but I have also seen a poop load of scandals on eBay.

The thing that puzzles me the most is why he's selling it. And also he doesn't give the original purchase date information. This is critical because if it is outside of the first year, they are not entitled to technical support without renewing that plan, which I believe is currently $30 a year...

vBulletin dont actually allow license transfers so once they found out it wasnt being operated by the license owner (original) it'd be terminated.

I don't know how fast they are on that though.

That's sorta what I was thinking. Some companies (for instance Microsoft, if you read the EULA, rather then the rationale to have all comps come pre-installed with Windows), does in fact give one the right to do a clean transfer of their Microsoft software. However, if it's transfered to another person, technically all backups of the instillation media, and all other such documentation is supposed to be transfered with it, else destroyed.

However, and that said, I'm not sure they'd be OK with the second hand sale of their liscense by a party other then themself. Seems a legal/contractual grey area at best. If Vbulletin doesn't allow transfers of anykind, perhaps Ebay should be notified of both this fact, and this auction. Ebay itself states in their own policies that illegal activities and the like, are not condoned and as such there would be grounds to close the auction...

I thought they did allow licence transfers this way...

Electronic Punk said:
I thought they did allow licence transfers this way...

They do if you get the OK from Jelsoft.

Below is from the EULA.

(vBulletin licence grants you the right to run one instance "a single installation" of the Software on one web server and one web site for each licence purchased. Each licence may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate licence is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.
The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicence, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft.)

Also from Jelsoft
How can I change the contact information assigned to my account?

To alter the contact information assigned to your account, please contact the support team with the following information:
• Customer Number
• Customer Password
• New Contact Name
• New Contact Email Address
We will alter the contact details assigned to this account, and let you know via email when the changes have been completed.

I still don’t think I would touch this unless I knew the seller, the seller states the update service has expired and would cost $30.00 to renew for one year of current updates.

From seller (The member area access for the latest updates of vBulletin costs $30 per year. Member area access under this owned license has expired. To gain access to the latest updates of vbulletin you will have to pay a $30 member access fee to vBulletin which will give you access for one year. Under this license you are licensed to use vBulletin on your website forever. (As long as you own the license) The $30 fee is only for access to updates, yearly.)

In reality by the time you paid the bid price with the added renewal for updates it would only be a few dollars less that new direct from Jelsoft.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back